Hollowing Question - Monster Rig

Dan Mosley

See pic below

Regarding the Monster Hollowing Rig - I am still on the learning curve here and wanted to see how others are using the tool attachments that came with the rig. I have been using the straight cutting tool and the angle cutter mainly for the last several days. Included were other cutting tips and i wanted to ask how your using them. I would assume that the larger ones are for roughing it out and smaller for more detail work. The round cutter for cleaning up and smoothing out. However, I just want to make sure i have the right idea here............thanks Dan

PS the small round one is a heck of a cutter......

Attachments

• P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 26
I use the swivel tool holder with the 3/16" bit the most, but you're pretty much on track with your observations about the other cutters.

I think I've used the big 3/8" straight cutter the least, but it's still been useful for some things. Because it's so wide, it can be handy for clean-up finishing cuts. It's also capable of hogging out a lot of wood at a time, but that's not always a desirable thing when you're hollowing. I've also used it freehand in the Indexer for initial roughing of things like root balls, where I might run into rocks or other nasties. It's a lot easier to repair the edge of a HSS tool bit than a gouge or carbide cutter.

The round carbide cutter is also very handy (as you've discovered). I tend to save it for finish cuts, just to maintain the edge longer. (Since it's carbide, it can't be easily sharpened without a diamond grinder.)

To the extent possible, I try to use the smallest cutters I can. When I'm taking a smaller bite of wood, it's easier to control the cut. That's especially true on hard or punky woods.

I think as you experiment with the different cutters under different circumstances, you'll see what works best for you.

i do use the Indexer with the large tip for roughing down alot of wood. Between that and the Ci1 I can quickly take down a pc of wood to a nice round blank and either use it or a gouge or whatever other tool to shape what i want to turn. I got the indexer a the time i got the hollowing rig "and enjoying using it. I have changed tips to a smaller cutting tip and done some small detail stuff also. I like that i have the ability to quickly sharpen and change bits for different tasks. I am using it more than my larger gouges now and find with practice its much easier to control. Its just my opinion of course and im sure there are others that just rely on the gouge.
The small round carbide cutter is what im getting used to now - used it the first time yesterday and it gets a little "grabby" but its my technique and still on the learning curve. Until i tried it i was using the other cutters to clean up and finish the inside which works pretty good. Still i know the round carbide is meant to clean up smooth the interior and I need to spend time with it. Still new with the hollower but im making my entry holes small and was thinking why worry about making a perfect smooth interior when you can't see or even reach in to feel the walls ?? But, then again its a tool that i have to learn to use for those projects that you can see and feel.....LOL
Today, I am going to turn another green vessel which will complete my mental "testing" of the hollowing rig. I have turned several dry wood vessels both end and side grain vessels, green wood end grain and today side. I would say so far this is a fun addition to have with your lathe. I will post a total review as soon as i finish my testing and thanks to all for answering all my questions on hollowing.