I almost died last night.

Hey man, I am farming with my horses and don't care what the neighbor has or wants. The tools I buy, regardless of name(s) must do what is expected of them or they will be replaced (same with my horse's, work or hit the road). Now there are a few tools I do drool over and really envy those that have and use them. But hey, I am the guy that converts the building some of you wanted to host a weinie roast on! The way I look at it, it is the end product, me, I can take the time to go slower, Tod and Marty and Al and Rob, they are paying bills from their tools and time, me, it is to steal from the Dr. and keep my blood pressure down and make me more even tempered! So buy what you can afford, appreciate what you own, make what makes you happy. Okay, off the soap box now. Have a great weekend all!!!!

"dog's b's", is that kind of like the "cat's a"? :huh::dunno::rolleyes:

Limey expression mate....if something is referred to as the dog's b-ll-cks it's great.....I just didn't want to get anyone ticked off for a possible swear word.

Stu

If I hadn't have been nearly broke following that trip out there I would have kept the fessy for sheet goods knock down for which it's great at. The mft table on the other hand was a great idea poorly done and probably why they came out with the new version.

Last edited:
Patrick, I use my TS 55 for that job, but I've found it very useful for so many other jobs too, the accuracy and ease of use make it a very good tool, for "me".

BTW, on a hijack, I saw you site, and your work is sure nice, that Tea House that you built is a thing of beauty :thumb:

Stu,
I feel the same way about a Lot of tools. Sawstop, Porter Cable, even Harbor Freight depending on the day. The FFs on other forums (thankfully we don't have many people who espouse any particular tool or brand, or even an idea (other than the picture police and the spinny folk's continued presence)) have made a 'bad name' for themselve, but I'd say they mean well in the end, if you boil down their advice it is the same we give here daily; Buy the Best Tool You Can Afford at the time.

Sorry, I don't get the constant questioning of Festool quality vs price thing.

Stu,

I don't get it either. Most people know I do have one piece of Festool equipment: a TS-75. I have a perfectly good reason for why I bought it. Yes, I did do the usual 'buy what I can afford', then upgrade, and upgrade again thing. And yes, it's a joy to use a quality piece of equipment. But all of the reasons normally cited by people had *nothing* to do with why I got it. I bought mine purely out of fear.

Same reason I upgraded my tablesaw several years ago. I was cutting up a big ole sheet of plywood, and it caught. I wasn't hurt, but I could have been. So eventually I went the cutting guide route. It worked, but I had to defeat a safety feature. We all know what a doofus I am, how I'm constantly doing silly stuff, and a kickback with that guided saw was too close for comfort.

I still can't afford the dust collector that goes with the saw, and maybe the dust is more dangerous than any spinning blade. But its not as immediately dangerous, and besides, one trip to the hospital would cost more than any festool... ;)

So, I agree with you. I don't understand why this kind of thing leads to so much contention. Unless it's just people trying to justify the purchase to themselves, and others trying to justify *not* getting one... ;) and as far as that goes, others may pick and choose as they wish, but as for me, I've grown rather fond of my body parts... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Hey Tod, how much did your bandsaws cost? :D Why didn't you buy the cheap Chiwanese Delta clones? ;) (not picking on Tod, just I know he has big ticket tools that I'm sure he will tell you are worth every penny).

Festool sure seems to bring out this rancor, I don't get it? :huh: :dunno:

they cost a chunk......but have made me more than they cost...
i tried the tai-chi saws, upgraded with big motors etc. then tried an older larger american made delta 20" saw......fried the motor hand feeding! bigger motor.....guides went.......new guides......ran okay but not enough resaw height.....
broke down and bought what i thought would be enough saw.......now sometimes i catch myself looking for more resaw and a bigger motor:eek:

as to toni asking about making money with festool stuff.........i haven`t been able to justify spending my money on any...........yet;)

Stu

Are you referring to the daiku website or the neoshed one? The one on the daiku site was built by my sensai before I started with him. The one on the neosehd site is a illustration I did.....not been built yet.

Stu

Are you referring to the daiku website or the neoshed one? The one on the daiku site was built by my sensai before I started with him. The one on the neosehd site is a illustration I did.....not been built yet.

The Daiku site, >> THIS << page

Maybe I misread the page, but I thought you built it in the DC area.

Cheers! :wave:

Cheers Stu,

They're meant to be thought of as a addition without the hassle of a addition. Unfortunately this year has produced nada as far as sales go. I'm not sure if it's the economic situation here or the fact that I have to refer sales west of the Mississippi to the manufacturer of the kits. If someone on the East Coast wants one I'd build it here and either ship it or take it out to install.