Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Tip- where do you store your planes

Another Tip- where do you store your planes

well Rick this is for me and a warning to you.. like rob mentioned there are many pitfalls in this one yu get hooked and yu have ahard time sayun NO.. as yu shall see from the answers this post should give yu a idea of what yur in for... so guys i would like to see pics of where and how yu store your planes the worker bees and the oldies.. give Rick and me the tour guys
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Since mine are users and I like to keep em where I can get at em iin a hurry I have this on my wall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane till.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	37937 As I add to my collection I'll add shelving add needed.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

come on don,, dont be shy yu must have more than that

Is there a right and a wrong way to store planes? In high school if our woods teacher saw one on its blade he would have a heart attack. I always thought they were to lay on their sides from him.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

thats been cussed and discussed jon i too was taught that in school but from what i have seen and heard in the later years the argument comes that they are for use on wood and therefore can lay on wood.. but i lay mine over cuz that ole orny shop teacher will come down and whack me up side the head sure as the wind blows.. also my assembly bench is coverd with laminate for easy glue clean up..and is hard on plane blades...
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-15-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Is there a right and a wrong way to store planes? In high school if our woods teacher saw one on its blade he would have a heart attack. I always thought they were to lay on their sides from him.
    I know this crops up from time to time in Neader forums all over the fruited plain, so here goes.......

The blade on your plane is mean to cut wood, right? So, if the aim of keeping the plane on it's side is to protect the sharp blade, then if the bench top is wood.......

If the bench top, or surface that you are laying the plane on is steel, yeah sure, on the side, or if you are afraid of scratching your bench top, on the side, I guess, but come on, it IS a "work"-bench, isn't it?

Mine just go on a shelf beside all the paint cans etc, as I'm getting more and more, I'm going to have to fix that and make a better space to keep them, but finding that space will be my problem, wall space in the Dungeon is just about as dear as floor space....

Sorry, no pic, maybe tomorrow!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    My dad tought me the same thing and I questioned that sometime back and was told the same thing.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I leave them on their soles, for the same reasons that Stu stated, on top of that, I leave the laying on the sole specially and specifically on purpose when they are on my bench, Why? Because as usually there are other metal tools on it it is the best way to protect the edge, or so I think. If I left them on their side I could nick the edge when bumping into other tools when pushing them away to make more space on the bench.

As far as storing them, I would not call this "store" but here it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p01.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

In the hanger, of course.

Sorry, somebody had to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

OK, seriously on a shelf, high out of the way and almost out of reach so I won't be tempted to use them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails planes.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire