Another Tip- where do you store your planes

larry merlau

well Rick this is for me and a warning to you.. like rob mentioned there are many pitfalls in this one yu get hooked and yu have ahard time sayun NO.. as yu shall see from the answers this post should give yu a idea of what yur in for... so guys i would like to see pics of where and how yu store your planes the worker bees and the oldies.. give Rick and me the tour guys:D:D:thumb:

Is there a right and a wrong way to store planes? In high school if our woods teacher saw one on its blade he would have a heart attack. I always thought they were to lay on their sides from him. :huh::dunno:

thats been cussed and discussed jon i too was taught that in school but from what i have seen and heard in the later years the argument comes that they are for use on wood and therefore can lay on wood.. but i lay mine over cuz that ole orny shop teacher will come down and whack me up side the head sure as the wind blows..:):D also my assembly bench is coverd with laminate for easy glue clean up..and is hard on plane blades...

Last edited:
Is there a right and a wrong way to store planes? In high school if our woods teacher saw one on its blade he would have a heart attack. I always thought they were to lay on their sides from him. :huh::dunno:
I know this crops up from time to time in Neader forums all over the fruited plain, so here goes.......

The blade on your plane is mean to cut wood, right? So, if the aim of keeping the plane on it's side is to protect the sharp blade, then if the bench top is wood....... :dunno:

If the bench top, or surface that you are laying the plane on is steel, yeah sure, on the side, or if you are afraid of scratching your bench top, on the side, I guess, but come on, it IS a "work"-bench, isn't it?

Mine just go on a shelf beside all the paint cans etc, as I'm getting more and more, I'm going to have to fix that and make a better space to keep them, but finding that space will be my problem, wall space in the Dungeon is just about as dear as floor space.... :(

Sorry, no pic, maybe tomorrow! :wave:

I leave them on their soles, for the same reasons that Stu stated, on top of that, I leave the laying on the sole specially and specifically on purpose when they are on my bench, Why? Because as usually there are other metal tools on it it is the best way to protect the edge, or so I think. If I left them on their side I could nick the edge when bumping into other tools when pushing them away to make more space on the bench.:dunno:

As far as storing them, I would not call this "store" but here it goes.

Attachments

• p01.jpg
    p01.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 81
Mine are in a cardboard box in self storage. Before selling the house, mine were in a drawer with a 1/4 strip under the front side to keep the plane from resting on the blade.

And every one of them is sharp, and ready to use, Rob!

That is really great Jim, I wish I could say the same about mine, some of them are still in pieces waiting to get restored :rolleyes:

Larry, just for you, here is my storage......

plane_stowage.jpg

Three western planes and a couple of Japanese ones, my block plane is at the Aparto right now.

Cheers!

Ah, how soon they forget

my_shop_06-28-09a.jpg

In an effort to reduce the formation of rust, a couple weeks ago I added a Goldenrod dehumidifier to my tool cabinet. So far it's worked out nicely. Not a speck of rust.

toolcabinetdehumdifier2.jpg

toolcabinetdehumdifier1.jpg

atta boy dominic:)!! i hadnt forgot. i just wanted rick to see where he was headed.. and i knew jim would chime in..we got more out there rick, but they may not show up here.. but trust me there out there in style..i know of one shop where every where yu look there are either planes or parts of planes stashed even in the restroom the shelves are full.. barley room for the coffee or the TP:)