Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best project ever!!

Best project ever!!

I am in the planning stages for what will prove to be the most difficult, most important, and most rewarding project I have ever attempted. It all started about 17 weeks ago with 2 pink lines on a little stick. Now I have been commisioned by my favorite client, my wife, to build the furniture for our future bundle of joy. The list includes, a crib, a changing table with possible removable hutch above, and an armoire. The latter two pieces are easy enough, simple modern lines (our favorite style) but the crib is what will prove to push me to the limit of my abilities. Can I do it? That's not even a question, I will do it no matter what it takes or how many hours. Sure I could save myself some headache and just buy the thing, but where is the fun in that. Not to mention the pride I will feel each time I see my first born sleeping so peacefully in his/her crib that daddy built. My question for you is in reference to the sides of the crib, I need to figure out how i am going to cut the mortises for the railings into that curved section of the side. I have a few ideas, but don't like any of them. let me start by saying i have no mortiser, not even sure if a mortiser could do it anyway (not sure if it would fit under the bit in all places due to the curve)

Attachment 3403

Attachment 3404

so anybody have any good ideas or techniques??

thanks in advance for the help
    chris

chris, i`m bettin` that the mortises and tennons are layed out square and after being cut then mill the curve......at least that`s how i`d approach it..
    congratulations on the stelth gloat! tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

First, congrats on the two pink lines

If this is your first, your life will NEVER be the same, make all large tool purchases you want NOW

What about just drilling the mortise and then finishing them up by hand, same with the tenons, hand cut, hand finished?

If you have a TON of them to do, maybe some kind of router one off jig, but for just one project.........?

Get your Lee Valley catalouge out and start the hunt

Take lots of pics!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Measure the width between slats on a commercial crib and do not exceed. This is a major safety issue. Beautiful project. We all will be watching your progress.
    For the mortises, neanderthal method with chisles would work, and work and work.

tod, thanks

forgive me i'm a little confused, are you talking bout the short side with the arch?? maybe i should have been more specific.....not the section that usually moves up and down, but the shorter side, with the big arch. if you are talking bout that, then how would i cut the mortises that deep??

thanks
    chris

stu, thanks...i am prepared to be unprepared!! but i've been waiting for this for a long time. i'm very excited about becoming a poppa!!

wow, hand cut..... i guess i could as a last resort. but i'd rather not since there will be so many to do. who knows maybe i will. guess i'll need to get some good sharp chisels though

i was trying to figure out a way to rough them with a router. or maybe a jig to hold the arch upside down under the drill press, and raise and lower the table as needed to reach deep into the arched section.

this is gonna be interesting.

thanks
    chris

thanks frank, i definitely plan to build it as safe as it can be.

i'm not much of a neander, guess ya gotta learn sometime huh

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mire View Post
    tod, thanks

forgive me i'm a little confused, are you talking bout the short side with the arch?? maybe i should have been more specific.....not the section that usually moves up and down, but the shorter side, with the big arch. if you are talking bout that, then how would i cut the mortises that deep??

thanks
    chris
    Take an initial stair-step cut to rough out the curve with a flat section for every mortise. Cut the mortices and then smooth out the curve. I would do this whether using a mortiser, mortise chisel on a dril press of neandering it with a chisel. I certainly would not cut the top curve until all the mortises were done. Can't imagine trying to cut mortises into it with a curved surface hitting the bench.

chip, thanks, that sounds like a good idea. i had just thought awhile ago that i better not cut the top of the curve.

thanks for the info

chris

Do the top rails on the ends have to be solid? You could 'built' mortises by sandwiching the necessary pieces. If you're going for a painted finish, it'd be dead easy. If you're using natural wood, you could still do this and edge band the rail. Here are a couple rough sketches that show what I'm talking about.

Attachment 3410 Attachment 3411

Then again, this might be the perfect time to justify a benchtop mortiser. While you can still afford tools.

And BTW, a big to you and LOYL.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com