Three Bowls

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
The first bowl was turned at a bowl turning class I am taking. I was sitting furthest away from the box of blanks, so I got one of the orphans that nobody else wanted. It was a misshapen, worm eaten chunk of Black Walnut with some rotten bark that I thought may be interesting inside. It has stunning figure to it (if that is the correct terminology). The bowl is 7 ¼” wide and 1 ¾” tall. The walls are 4 mm and the base is 10mm. Sanded to 600 grit, wet sanded with 600 grit and BLO, Beale Buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnauba Wax.

Continued

Attachments

• Bowl3Front.jpg
    Bowl3Front.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Bowl3Top.jpg
    Bowl3Top.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 40
  • Bowl3Bottom.jpg
    Bowl3Bottom.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 40
Three Bowls #2

I turned the second bowl at home. I wanted to use some of the techniques I learned in class, and wanted to do a different shape than I have done. This is a mystery wood I got out of a grab box of wood at the Reno Woodcraft. It was labeled Maple Burl, but I know it is not Mable. I was thinking Walnut, but it seems a little red for Walnut. It is 3 ¼” wide, 1 ¾” tall with walls 3 mm thick and base 8 mm thick. Sanded to 600 grit, wet sanded with 600 grit and Boiled Linseed Oil, Beale Buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnauba Wax.

Continued

Attachments

• Bowl4Front.jpg
    Bowl4Front.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 27
  • Bowl4Top.jpg
    Bowl4Top.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Bowl4Bottom.jpg
    Bowl4Bottom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 20
Three Bowls #3

The last bowl was turned for the class. It was turned from Black Walnut that had been rough turned wet in a previous class, and allowed to dry. The bowl is 6 ¼ wide, walls are 3 mm and the base is 10 mm. Sanded to 600 grit, rubbed with Boiled Linseed Oil, Beale Buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnauba Wax.. Don’t have the slightest idea how that dimple got into the base. It’s not from the tail stock as I turned the tennon off with a donut chuck.

I sure love the look and feel of Black Walnut, my favorite wood to turn so far.

Critique and comments are welcomed.

Attachments

• Bowl5side.jpg
    Bowl5side.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Bowl5Top.jpg
    Bowl5Top.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Bowl5Bottom.jpg
    Bowl5Bottom.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Bowl #1: Oh yeah! Very nice figure, and you did a good job of showing it off.

Bowl #2: That's some more pretty wood, whatever the species is. It might be maple...I've seen some maple burl that was nearly that dark. I prefer the form of the other two bowls, but you still did a fine job on this one.

Bowl# 3: Nice classic form, and pretty wood to go along with it.

Three pitches, three swings, and three hits. :thumb:

Larry,

I was thinking of signing up for the swap but honestly don’t feel the quality of my work stands up to the work of others that have signed up. If I understand it correctly, we have until Dec. 15 to mail the item. If this is correct, then I have two months to improve my technique. If I turn enough bowls between now and then, hopefully I will come up with something I am proud to give as a gift (to other than my poor family)