Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one heard of this site??

Any one heard of this site??

I'm not sure where to put this, so decided off topic might be as good as any... for those of you who market on line, have you ever heard of this web-site... they contacted me via email and offered their services... claiming that their members get 4000 to 6000 hits per month... looks like a pretty sophisticated site.

Think I'm going to try and contact a few of the vendors on the site, but thought maybe some of you might have had some contact with them.

The site is www.custommade.com.

Any comments or information would be appreciated.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Interesting. But only gets about 6,000 hits a month. I believe that in today's Internet world that is close to zero. And, with plans costing $150.00 to $700.00 a year, it doesn't strike me as a worthwhile marketing venture.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Don't know anything about the site, but thanks for the time waster.

Lots of pretty stuff on the site, but only a couple turnings that I saw from a search. Maybe you can change that...hope it works well for you.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I heard about it many years ago, checked it out and didn't see any advantage in it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Chuck,

I hadn't heard of that site, so can't give any feedback. A similar and very popular site for hand made crafts is http://www.etsy.com

Might give it a look if you haven't. Don't think they charge as much and it's per item, much like ebay.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Chuck,

I hadn't heard of that site, so can't give any feedback. A similar and very popular site for hand made crafts is http://www.etsy.com

Might give it a look if you haven't. Don't think they charge as much and it's per item, much like ebay.

Darren,
    Thanks for feed back... I'm already listed on ETSY with a few items... all internet sales seem a little slow right now... maybe will pick up around Christmas.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    all internet sales seem a little slow right now... maybe will pick up around Christmas.
    That I'm sure of... My wife just mentioned last night that she's starting to do xmas shopping this week....look out!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I don't know. I did an advanced search for wood turnings, and got two hits - both cabinetry. Also, I noted no pricing on a link for pens except for the comment that similar items con be made for under $500.00. I would sure hope so!

Let us know what you find out with their vendors.

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thanks for all the replies on this... I think all were correct.. it sounded too goo to be true..

I contacted a couple of the vendors I found on the site... one of whom was Jim Lanier.... he joined the first of October and todate has had 22 hits..

The other artist also joined Sept 30 and has to date received 233 hits..

Sounds like some creative marketing claims... think I'll pass.

Thanks guys for your input.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Hi Chuck (and other posters) -

I sent this via email directly to Chuck, but wanted to post it here as well so I could reach out to you guys personally as one of the owners of CustomMade.com.

Mike Salguero and I purchased this website at the beginning of this year, and about 30 days ago launched a complete overhaul of the site and the service. We are working like dogs to continually improve the search and consumer user-experience...

Our site currently receives almost 1 million absolute unique visitors a year (do some searches around Google using terms like "custom furniture" and other related search terms and we tend to pop up on the first page). Our claims of 4,000 to 6,000 pageviews a month are substantiated by our Google Analytics on the old site, so we have certainly not exaggerated. Our new site is getting more visitors every day, and we have been heavily indexed by Google.

We have about 500 woodworker members... and almost 1 million unique visits (and over 4 million annual pageviews) - so there's plenty of traffic to go around. 60,000 pageviews a year is a staggering amount of exposure for a comparatively small investment. By contrast, buying the words "custom furniture" on Google in the sidebar (PPC) costs $1.24 per click - so the gentlemen who reported over 220 click in the last 30 days is doing quite well!

It's important to distinguish between "pageviews" and "hits" - a pageview is anytime someone clicks on an image and views it on our site. A "hit" we would consider to be a click-through to the individual artisan's website. But keep in mind - consumers don't want to click through to individual artisan's web pages. They want to view everything in one place, which is what our website does. People can contact the artisan directly through our website, or can click-through and email the artisan directly after having viewed his/her own website. I just did a blog post about this here; http://custommade.com/blog/

The key is getting your work exposed to relevant traffic - which is the business we are in. Our long term goal is to change the buying paradigm... to get folks to stop buying press-board crap from big-box stores and get them to buy custom from the artisans themselves.

I'd be happy to hear anyone's concerns, and hear anyone's advice or suggestions about the site!

Thanks for your feedback!

- Seth Rosen