View Poll Results: Which Low Angle Block Plane would you buy?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee Valley Veritas DX60 Low Angle Block Plane

7 36.84%
  • Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane

9 47.37%
  • Other - Please Explain

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one LV or LN ...?

Which one LV or LN ...?

I dropped by my buddy Sugita san's place today, he lives very close to the Aparto, to talk about possible classroom space for Garret Hack if he can do a demo. While we were talking, I noticed a new shinny thing sitting on his bench, one of these.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ln_la_block_plane.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	37973
    ...with a whole garbage can full of tissue thin shavings

Whoa baby, what a nice piece of kit!

>> Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane $165 <<

The thing is, I've also been looking at and drooling over the newer Lee Valley block planes.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lv_la_block_plane.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	37975
    ... the one in the back, the black one, not the polished one.

>> Lee Valley Veritas DX60 Low Angle Block Plane $179 <<

The small difference in price is not of concern, and on paper the two planes are very similar, the LV plane is a newer design, and seems to have a few more bells and whistles on it, also, being that it is made in Canada, and I'm a Canuck, I would be inclined to support my own countrymen, nothing against Lie-Nielsen.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have the Veritas plane, and if you can give me your review of it?

I have a regular cheap Stanley block plane, for normal stuff, but I've been wanting a low angle version. This would be part payment for the Aparto work, so there is the possibility that I'd even spend the extra $100 for the premium version of it, but then again, maybe not

I know both are going to be very good tools, I've seen the LN unit, and used it, OMG is it nice, but that has me thinking about the LV plane too...

Confused in Japan....

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The new LV Plane

I have the LN low angle block plane and LOVE it. I use it all of the time.

HOWEVER, I had a chance to try out the "new" LV DX block plane and was VERY impressed with the heft and the way it fit in my hand. It just feels like an extension of you hand!

I also liked the set screws that center the blade. That's a feature I would have found useful on the LN.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have gotten the LV.
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Thanks Dominic, that is what it is looking like to me as well, add to that, I do need to order some stuff from LV anyways....

The LN is so very sweet for sure, I could not believe it when I stroked it across some nice Hinoki and boy you could read through the shaving
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

the lv's are just to speed racer looking but hey we dont drive model t's now days either..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    the lv's are just to speed racer looking but hey we dont drive model t's now days either..
    If it was "Speed Racer" just to be "Speed Racer" I would not like that, but I understand that in this case, it is more of a "Form Follows Function" thing.

(Speed Racer is cool too )
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,
    I've tried them both. Get the LV!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Stu,
    I've tried them both. Get the LV!
    Thanks for the comment Jim!
    William Arthur Ward

Hey, I added a poll on this question
    William Arthur Ward

I have neither, and no plans to buy right now, but put it this way... I have a LVT store right here in town, so I can go look at one, handle it, and talk to someone about it.

So it's pretty obvious why I voted the way I did...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I have the LN because back when I bought it, it fit my hand better than the LV. But now, LV has a new low angle which is more the size of the LN. So I can't tell you which would be better - you need to feel them.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.