Welcome to the Shop Tours forum

Frank Pellow

We want to both hear about and see pictures of your shop. All shops are interesting, so even if you think your shop is too small, please tell us about it. I have “stolen” many ideas for my woodworking shop from others and some of the best ideas have come from those who are “space challenged”.

There is no one correct way to organize your tour, but I do offer these suggestions.
• Include a shop layout diagram. This helps to put everything into context. For those who do not have a computer generated diagram, hand drawn is fine.

• Tell us the size (in usable interior square feet or square metres), the dimensions, and the ceiling height.

• Please include captions along with each picture. The vBulletin software that Family Woodworking runs on makes it very easy to intersperse words and text.

• There is a limit of 10 photos per post and 10 photos is often not enough to show a shop. Simply submit multiple posts in the same thread.

• Tell us where your shop is. For instance, a separate building, a basement, a dedicated garage, a shared garage, a closet (I once had a “shop” in a closet in my apartment).

• If your shop is in a separate building, one or more exterior shots would be good.

• Tell us other things such as type of floor material, natural lighting method (if any), artificial lighting method, heating method (if any), cooling method (if any), dust control method (if any), and electrical capacity.
I am sure that I have forgotten something in the above list. Tell us about that too.

geeze frank, i`ve fallen short of expectations already:eek: :eek: sorry! i`ve gotta get some work done but i`ll try and add the required info......tod

Last edited by a moderator:
geeze frank, i`ve fallen short of expectations already:eek: :eek: sorry! i`ve gotta get some work done but i`ll try and add the required info......tod

Hey, what are you doing here, are you not suposed to be working! ;) :D

Good list of things to do Frank, and I can't wait to see everyone's shop tours!!

Cheers!

Hey there Frank,
I think you a have laid out some good suggestions for any one who might like to share their shop, reguardless of size. Those ideas offer different ways that a person might present some aspects of the shop they work out of.
Shaz

Well... I'll have to reorganise my post

Hi Frank.

What you suggest is a good idea and I'll follow it.
In fact today I was going to post some pics of my new shop but your suggestion showed me that they would be almost useless to others without the rest of information.

So in a few days I'll have everything reorganised and ready for comments/suggestions.

Hi Frank.

What you suggest is a good idea and I'll follow it.
In fact today I was going to post some pics of my new shop but your suggestion showed me that they would be almost useless to others without the rest of information.

So in a few days I'll have everything reorganised and ready for comments/suggestions.
Thanks Toni. I look forward to learning about your shop.

Shop pictures and Windows

Hi,

My shop is a looonnggg way from done. I planned on showing pictures when it was further along. However, I went out today and took pics. See what a good boy I am.

However my computer had become sluggish so I reformatted the hard disk---same as I have done in the past. However, this time dear old Microsoft Windows (that's why there was a capital W in the title) won't let me get to all of my screen goodies needed to continue. My monitor will not leave the lowest resolution so the monitor is not big enough to hold everything that is trying to go on the screen.

The net result of the above is that I cannot get to the save button to save a photo after I reduce it to Family Woodworking size. Even using my camera's lowest resolution (poorest quality) the pics are too big.

Anyway Glenn, my mentor and computer guru, is going to be here this Saturday or next Saturday and try to find out how dear old dad screwed up. Once un-screwed I will post.

Everybody Enjoy,

Jim

Door size

Stu,
That was a good tour.. had me chuckling more than once.. I don't have any beer in my fridge either.. only water and diet vernors.. helps ensure I keep an even ten count.. or 21 with my shoes off.. :rofl:

Is there another door to the Studom.. or are you limited to building things that will fit out the trap door system..??

Doug

...........Is there another door to the Studom.. or are you limited to building things that will fit out the trap door system..??

Doug

Hi Doug, glad you enjoyed the tour!

The hatch does open up to about 4'x4' so the limit is not that great, also, I'm in Japan, houses are not that large, and neither are the elevators or hallways to get stuff into the houses, so the 4'x4' limit has not been a problem. If I were to build something like a LARGE entertainment center, I'd just make it in sections.

Oh yeah.......

Welcome to the family! :wave:

Cheers!

I dont consider my work area a real woodworking shop.
Its my garage, where I keep alot of electric hand tools, an old ryobi portable table saw, ryobi mitre saw with stand, hand held belt sander, jigsaw, couple battery operated drills, orbital sander, palm sander, biscuit cutter, small 3 inch planer, 2 routers, assorted bits, couple of old tools from people who moved and didnt want them, like an old black and decker circular saw, maybe 25 years old, a sunbeam sander, maybe 40 years old, all work great, boxes of old wrenchs and tools passed down from every relative that moved out of the state or retired.
I built a work bench, ripped up the masonite cover already, havent changed it yet, and I use temp tables to hold my work since some projects I make are large and I need more room.
I use my yard when its warm, so my yard looks like an outdoor furniture store, all the time.
I built a ton of cabinets in my garage so I can store all my junk out of view, keep the tools in it, hardware, and keep all the rest of the garage stuff in there somehow, not to mention I store alot of wood, scraps, whatever.
Workshop? Not like the ones Ive seen here, more like just my work area, Im no where as sophisticated as most of these people.
But I love this thread, very interesting indeed.
I consider myself in the baby phase of woodworking. Im learning how to walk right now.

Last edited:
Allen, I hear you, BIG TIME, my first workshop was an area I cleared out in the basement of the liquor shop, and set up my circular saw, upside down screwed to a piece of plywood. :D

I did build a workbench, and some shelves, but it was still just a corner of the storage area in the basement of the liquor shop..........

Found an old pic.......

workshop1.jpg

Boy, that was sometime ago, April 7th, 2000 :eek:

EIGHT years ago, I did not realize I'd had that DeWalt saw for that long :thumb:

Anyway Allen, we would all still love to take a tour of your "Work Area", while it may not be a "Workshop" is sounds like you are getting the job done, so it would be good to show others with similar space and use limitations, that you don't need a "Workshop" to do a lot of good work! :thumb:

Cheers!