Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dining table

dining table

Well, Ihaven't been around much lately because I had a couple of large (for me) flat work comissions to do. One was two sets of library cabinet/shelves made from alder and delivered unfinished (sorry, didn't get any pics) and the last was a dining table for a lady that nearly drove me crazy...the table and the lady both. She put so many specs on it that I began to think it would be impossible (at least the mechanics of if) but I finally figured out an acceptable solution. I was so anxious to be done with it that the only pictures I got was some my buddy took before it went out the door. The lady required that the table have 4 drop leaves that would fold up under the table when not in use. She reqired the legs be curved as shown, and the top inlayed, and was very particular, yet indecisive, about the colors for the inlay. BTW, a big THANKS! to Mike Henderson for his excellent tutorial on compass roses, it saved me a lot of head scratching. The main wood is white oak, the compass rose purple heart and bloodwood, the background is mesquite crotch, and the rings are bubinga. Unfortunately, there is no pic of the underside to show all the aparatus to make it work. The legs were glue-lammed in a form. the dimensions are 31" tall, 56" diameter, or 40" square with the leaves folded up. Oh yea, another thing she wanted was for the top to have a bar-top finish; the two part epxoy stuff, what a pain. It was so hot here when I was trying to pour the top that the stuff would start hardening before it had self leveled. I ended up scraping and sanding the stuff till it was pretty level, then coated it with some semi-gloss poly. The top is certainly not perfectly smooth, but fortunatly she wanted a bit of a rustic handmade look so it worked. The good part was that the finish ended up looking much more natural that the "plastic wet-look" that bar-top normally produces. Thanks for looking, have a great weekend! Barry

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Lookin' fine from here.
    I would like to see the hinge arrangement for those fold under leaves.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Kansas City, Missouri
    Wow, that is a great looking table Barry. Sorry you had so much trouble with the owner, but it turned out really nice.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Beautiful Barry. Fantastic inlay.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

GTA Ontario Canada
    Wow from me too. That looks fantastic. Inspirational.

nice job barry!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Delton, Michigan
    very well done barry,,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Way Too Cool.... When I looked at the first pic. I thought "he ruined the corners..." then when I saw the drop leaves lifted, it all made sense. Great job.

Cambridge, MA
    Beautiful detail work on the inlays!
    Seth Rosen, Co-Founder
    Visit our Website at
    The Web's #1 Source for Custom Furniture, Cabinetry, and anything else that can be custom made from wood.
    Contact Me

Who am I?

I'm not a woodworker, but nobody's perfect! I'm an online marketing geek, trying to figure out how to get consumers to stop buying retail and start buying custom. My business helps people find a woodworker.

Villa Park, CA
    I just saw this post. Great job on the table. Putting in that inlaid ring around the outside of the table is not easy.

Did you use commercial veneer for the rose inlay or cut your own so that it would be thicker?

Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-18-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.