Hello from Garrett French of ToolCrib.com

Hi everybody!

I'm writing to say howdy and to get introduced around to some of you guys.

I spoke with Mr. Tod Evans on the phone recently because I wanted to hear how he felt about commercial sites getting involved in FamilyWoodworking.org.

So you know what we're about here's the situation:

1) we are currently an amazon affiliate site - this means we make our money by sending sales to Amazon.com.

2) we get woodworking questions everyday

3) it's my job to answer questions

4) I've been an editor for a long time, but I'm new to tools and woodworking

5) I'd like to ask my site visitors' questions HERE and share your answers with them.

Some of you may be wondering what we'll be offering Family Woodworking in exchange. Well here it is:

1) We recommend to our questioners that they join up with the friendly folks at FamilyWoodworking.com

2) When our blog launches (should be this week or next - I'm so excited) we plan to link to how-to conversations threads and even projects showcased here.

3) Ditto for our email newsletter :)

4) A direct link from our site

Basically we'd help to spread word as far and wide as we can about what a friendly spot FamilyWoodworking.org is for woodworkers (as if the name didn't do it well enough ;).

So. Enough about ME ;) I look forward to "meeting" everyone and getting to know the personality that each of you brings to FamilyWoodworking.org!

Garrett (aka G)

Howdy Garret:wave:

an affiliate with amazon huh....those folks have gotten some of my money in the past....

Glad to have you here and welcome to the Family.:thumb:

hi garrett!........please use tod!......that mr. stuff is for folks who are either old or don`t have calluses..;)

Welcome, Garrett. Like Steve, I've purchased a thing or two from Amazon. ;)

You threw me off for a minute there. I thought Tod's dad had joined the forum or something. :p

Welcome Garrett

Now, there should be one more additional perq........... advance notice of any sales that are coming down the pike! :D

We all look forward to the hoped for positive synergies that should be possible with the relationship you described

Like Vaughn I've bought a few things......... probably won't act as a deterrent to buying more.

Jay

Welcome!

I've bought tools from Amazon once or twice also -- and those are accurate numbers, since you won't ship to Canada. I had to make the purchase coincide with a trip to the States.

I should probably be thankful that I can't buy more of those deals that pop up every now and then, since it preserves my bank account.

Welcome Garrett to the "Family". Your introduction is spot on for things that I would like to see happen. We are a friendly site and love to talk about tools and woodworking. Also, we are a member driven site so suggestions, comments and concerns are welcomed.

Glad you've joined our little 'family'.

I'm sure there's enough knowledge and experience among the members here to help you with just about any woodworking related question you might be able to bring us. ;)

Enjoy your stay...
- Marty -

awwwww SHUCKS!!

Mr. Evans, er, Sir, I mean Tod told me you guys were nice but I sure didn't expect to get my face all split with a smile. Thank you ALL for the warm welcome :D

For Jay I will make sure that I post any deals we hear about in the deals section of your forum... I'll also be checking that section regularly for the ToolCrib.com blog, which should be going live later this week or early next (that booming noise you hear is my heart pounding from too much coffee and excitement from getting a new blog ;D.

For Art I'll call Jeff Bezos and plead the case of our friendly Northern Neighbors. JK - I'm actually pretty new to tool selling sites. Art do you have favorites that do ship tools to Canada?

And to Rennie, scott, Marty, joe, Vaughn (who seems very goofy from what I've read in here - nice to meet a fellow goof ball), Steve, Mark, Chris and Stuart I give you a hearty ToolCrib HELLO!!!

I'm very pleased to meet you.

And... I think ToolCrib.com questioner Dick will be glad I met you too :) I posted his question to you guys just a moment ago:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=17550#post17550

I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts.

G

For Art I'll call Jeff Bezos and plead the case of our friendly Northern Neighbors. JK - I'm actually pretty new to tool selling sites. Art do you have favorites that do ship tools to Canada?

Amazon already has a deal/arrangement for books -- with canada post I believe. If I go to amazon.ca (not .com) I can order books and the prices are in Canadian Funds, and not have to worry about customs, brokerage, or duty or anything related to cross-border shopping. I have no idea how they arranged that.

As for tools... I have not personally ordered anything to be shipped across the border. I know of people who have (a) driven over the border to shop in Buffalo. (b) ordered stuff and had it shipped to a UPS terminal near the border and then driven down to get it (c) ordered direct from Rockler/Woodcraft and then had to deal with brokerage fees and duty themselves from the shipping company (frequently a hassle).

One of the issues is that for domestic shipping inside the US, people use UPS all the time and they are apparently very reasonably priced. So UPS is all they know for shipping, and they want to use it to ship into Canada also. But for shipping into Canada, UPS is one of the worst choices around, as they charge outrageous prices on brokerage.

If you want to score the Canadian market, then you need to come up with an arrangement like amazon.ca has already, so that it is basically pain free for us to order. I don't even think people would care about having the prices be in US funds, as long as ALL the fees were listed up front. If there is going to be tax - get it listed. Brokerage fees or Duty fees? Ditto.

...art

duz this menn i havta?

spell betr so you high culflutin folk can read betwix the lins? if so i willhav ta git a trnslter..welcome garret and i to am victum to the river store, welcome and hopefully we can give ya some help when you need it..:thumb:

Welcome Garrett!

The major complaint with Amazon that I have is that they make it way to easy to order stuff. They have a lot of my money. But in return I have a lot of their stuff. Their "qualifies for free shipping" usually pushes me over the edge and I hit "procede to checkout". I am going to have to be more careful about that. Good outfit.

Last edited:
To offer a little different point of view...

A lot of us get answers to our questions here for free, and use that knowledge to make money when we sell our finished products. How does that make us any different? Garrett's been very up front about his affiliations and income source (check point number 1 on his list), and in the end, he's helping spread woodworking knowledge, which is one of the reasons this forum exists in the first place.