Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this make sense?

Does this make sense?

Hey, folks,

Back at it, and I need to make some frame and panel doors using rail and stile bits. Now, I *do* have set up blocks for the bits, and they get me "fairly" close, but as we've learned to our pain, "fairly" ain't gonna cut it when Doorlink's involved!

So, I thought of getting one of these for my router lift: http://www.wixey.com/remote/index.html

That way, when I get a good set up, I could just jot down the setting, to the thousandth of an inch (close enough, even for Doorlink!) and just return to the setting anytime I need to.

But then I thought to myself "Hmmm... we're told never to bottom out a bit in a router collet." Why that is, I have no idea, but I always bottom out the bit, pull it up a little, and tighten. The problem is that "pull it up a little" would destroy any possibility of repeatable accuracy! I'd have to zero out the thing every time I changed bits, and previous settings would be useless!

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 10-16-2009 at 05:55 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill as long as you zero the bit to the top of the table then move to your set point the setting will be repeteable
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Bill as long as you zero the bit to the top of the table then move to your set point the setting will be repeteable
    Yep - what Don said.

I have one of those on my Amazon wish list hoping the in-laws will buy it for me
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

bill drop a rubber o ring in the bottom of your collet,to maintain the space and the unformity you are looking for the fit on a rail and stile bit set is generally right on yu just need to set one up first then match it with the next bit..do the cope cuts first then the stiles and the sides of the rail. takes the tear out away better the differnce yu may get can be sanded smooth elimnating the doorlink problem
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I agree with what Don said about set up. I use one of these and get very repeatable results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails depth+gauge+sm.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm with Larry, Rubber O ring!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Glenn

Did you make that or buy it?
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick anderson View Post
    Glenn

Did you make that or buy it?
    That looks like a Harbor freight DRO and a home made holder for it. Looks good and functional.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    That looks like a Harbor freight DRO and a home made holder for it. Looks good and functional.
    Plans for it were in one of the magazines a couple years ago. You're spot-on in your observation, btw. The DRO's go for about six bucks (on sale) at HF.

I've made two of them - one for Tablesaw, and one for router table - using Baltic Birch. They work very well.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Jim

Do you have HF's Item number for this tool?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart