NYW ending production

Personally, I'm devastated. I first took up woodworking in a high school shop class and never really got hooked again until NYW. I have watched just about every episode and have many of them recorded on a couple of TIVO disks and some saved to DVD. I can't tell you how much I have learned from him. I never had anyone in my family that could pass on that kind of learning to me so I really did think of him as my personal teacher.

I posted these pictures a while back in another thread, but thought I'd throw them here, Good Luck Norm!

This is in the entrance of our local Wood Crafters store.

Attachments

• Norm.1.jpg
    Norm.1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 35
  • Norm.2.jpg
    Norm.2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 32
That makes sense why my local PBS has been running repeats for several months now. I record them on my DVR and then burn them to DVD for my woodworking video library.

I had no idea Norm was hanging up the old tool belt. He will be missed by many. My take on woodworking shows has always been, not so much of "I can do that project", but more of "how does this guy do it?". In just watching how different woodworkers approached building things, I picked up a lot.

Right now there seems to be only one woodworking show left. The Woodsmith's Shop (from the magazine of the same name). They don't really do projects like Norm, David Marks, or Roy Underhill did. They are more about techniques, tools and jigs....but interesting none the less.

Norm could continue doing it into his dotage - I doubt if it takes a lot of physical effort on his part, and he could have others plan the project for the show.
Wasn't he having some health issues a year or two back? ISTR people noticing some hand tremors etc in recent episodes.
(I can't find anything about it online, but my google-fu is notoriously weak.)

From an interview with Russ Morash published on Popular Woodworking's site. Good idea, I think.

"The other question is what's going to happen to the shop itself, which is stocked with all manner of machines and hand tools. Morash said he's personally looking forward to some free time so he can build a few things in the shop. As for the long-term plans for the shop, Morash suggested that the shop could be put on display at the Smithsonian.

"It could be like Julia Child's kitchen," Morash said, "which I'm told is one of the most popular exhibits there. Who wouldn't want to visit Norm's shop?"
"