These are some pieces I was working on before I had my little bout with the hernia... they were sitting waiting for the finish to cure...
The first is from a piece of Walnut that Larry sent my way in exchange for a piece that I sent out west for him. I had it finished about a week or more before I got sick, but had dropped a tool off the wall above my tool bench that naturally landed right in the bottom of the bowl and knocked a big ding... I had to figure a way to turn the bottom a little more to clean up the ding... got almost all of it. It's about 7 1/2 in dia x 5 in high.. finished with wipe on poly.
The second is another piece of spalted maple that I knocked out while my son was here... he wanted to see how I did a bowl and I knocked it out during a wild rainstorm that trapped both of us in the shop for about 2 hours... 7 1/2 in diameter x 3 in high... finished with mineral oil and carnuba wax.
The third is a piece of wormy oak. The wood came from a friends tree that was taken down last summer. The bowl is about 7 inch diameter x 2 inches high. Also finished with mineral oil and wax. The wood is showing a lot of cracks, but they don't seem to go al the way through...lots of checking.