Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time back to the shop since surgery

First Time back to the shop since surgery

These are some pieces I was working on before I had my little bout with the hernia... they were sitting waiting for the finish to cure...
    The first is from a piece of Walnut that Larry sent my way in exchange for a piece that I sent out west for him. I had it finished about a week or more before I got sick, but had dropped a tool off the wall above my tool bench that naturally landed right in the bottom of the bowl and knocked a big ding... I had to figure a way to turn the bottom a little more to clean up the ding... got almost all of it. It's about 7 1/2 in dia x 5 in high.. finished with wipe on poly.

The second is another piece of spalted maple that I knocked out while my son was here... he wanted to see how I did a bowl and I knocked it out during a wild rainstorm that trapped both of us in the shop for about 2 hours... 7 1/2 in diameter x 3 in high... finished with mineral oil and carnuba wax.

The third is a piece of wormy oak. The wood came from a friends tree that was taken down last summer. The bowl is about 7 inch diameter x 2 inches high. Also finished with mineral oil and wax. The wood is showing a lot of cracks, but they don't seem to go al the way through...lots of checking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-789.JPG   10-789-6.JPG   10-841-2.JPG   10-853-9.JPG   10-853-2.JPG  

Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Fine looking pieces. My favorite is the 3rd one.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Chuck nice job,i bet you were tickled to finilly be back in the shop. I know when i shattered my ankle i was out of comission for six months and was tickled when i got back out there.

Great looking bowls. Glad to see ya back turning.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Chuck nice job,i bet you were tickled to finilly be back in the shop. I know when i shattered my ankle i was out of comission for six months and was tickled when i got back out there.
    Yeah, it was good even though I only stayed a little while buffing the pieces...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Yeah, Chuck, nothing like major surgery to make you appreciate things. I had a knee replaced the end of April and I was on pretty heavy meds for two months so I didn’t dare “operate heavy machinery”. In week eight, I graduated off of physical therapy and the drugs so finally got out to the shop (my half of the garage.) for a few hours a day. Glad you are feeling fit. Very nice bowls.

first time back in the shop since surgery

Beautifull work,glad your up an at em again.I love that spaulted wood,any spaulted wood Take care an don't over do it.

Good to see you're back in action, Chuck. That's a nice assortment of bowls. Well done on all three.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Chuck, good to have you back in the shop. Very nice pieces too. I really like the last ones.

Real good pieces there Chuck and glad to see you able to get back into the shop. Seems the doc dun good.
    cheers