Hollowing Question and Final Review-Monster Rig

Dan Mosley

Since i purchased the Monster Hollowing Rig I have turned a couple dry hollow and several green wood vessels. I wanted to put it thru the loops so to speak. I really like this tool and have have alot of fun using it. There is a learning curve to it and im still learning how to use it without making to many funnels:eek: I have made some vessels on my first tries and they turned out fine with even wall thickness.
The System comes complete and I don't think you need to buy anything additional for it. Although i did buy a indexing tool with it because i wanted one but is not necessary for hollowing rig.
The laser stayed secure the majority of the turning cycle and is a very good laser with great ease of adjustment. I said majority because i have had it move frequently on me during the hollowing of dry wood but it was because of alot of jumping while I was turning (and alot of this is in the technique on dry wood -I literally bent the shaft on one of the extensions - Randy is replacing it even though I didnt ask.... figuring it was my fault - Many thanks to his customer service even when it was my fault....:thumb:). Dry wood much harder to do obviously.
On green wood turning (which is much easier obviously) i would constantly check the laser and tweak it if i needed to but it stayed more secure on the green wood so i had minimal movement (again some jumping that can move it but my technique is not great yet). I did have to reposition during angle changes but that is required. If i was turning smoothly without the jumping and mini catches the laser stayed dead on and no adjustment was needed.
With the tooling you get many cutters and extensions - I took Vaughns advice and tried the large stratight tip on my indexing tool (see pic below) and holly cow can this this rough down a blank fast. You get other cutters for turning the curves and for straight hollowing, a carbide round cutter for cleaning up the inside, and what i call a "adjustable angle cutter" where you can put in a cutter and adjust your own angles as you wish. They work great and the round carbide cutter works good but i need more practice with it. Again technique and learning - not the tool- a bit grabby when i use it.

I have used them all except the adjustable angle cutter which leads up to my question for those of you that have the same rig. Which one of the cutters do you put into the cutter extension (see Pic below 1st pic far left) ?

All in all i would say this is well worth the money in engineering quality and what you get with it for you money.

I have called and emailed Randy at Monster several times before and after purchase with questions and he has always responded back. This is worth alot to me because i hate having to wade thru customer service people to get to a techincal person that also may or maynot be able to help you.

Attachments

• Cutters-1.jpg
    Cutters-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Cutters-2.jpg
    Cutters-2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Cutters-3.jpg
    Cutters-3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Good review, Dan. The adjustable angle cutter (a.k.a. the swivel tool) will only fit one of the tool bits...the skinniest one. (3/16" wide) A lot of folks take the tool bit and cut it in half, so you end up with two bits. As it's shipped from Randy, it's a pretty long, and that extra length can get in the way.

To cut the bit in half, just score the four sides in the middle of the bit with the corner of your grinding wheel. Sort of like this:

HSS Tool Bit.jpg

After you've scored it, you can put it in a vise and use pliers to snap the bit in half. (Be sure to wear eye protection when you do it.) I sharpen both ends of the half-bits, so I can turn them around when they get dull and save a trip to the grinder. I'll try to remember to grab a photo of one of my half-bits in the swivel tool so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. It's one of my most used pieces of the Monster kit.

Vaughn - thanks that is a great idea cutting it in half. Im not sure if i have the small one. Im going to look today and see - the only ones i have are the ones in the photo (wonder if i lost it or ?)... If I dont have the small cutter ill just buy one from Randy as i have a call into him anyway. I called and left a message yesterday because i was going to let him know how the tool was working (per his request once i was using it).

Hope the review helps anyone considering a purchase. I was trying to be straight forward about it. Biggest thing there is a learning curve but, you can be making vessels correctly on your first try with some patience and reading everybodys comments, and asking questions on here..........Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Good review Dan.

I have the monster system also -- I use it and like it..

A small complaint that I have is the laser adjustment system the handles collide with the support rods and each other -- which mades it difficult at times.

My wife says I need more patience. Patience is not found in my internal dictionary.

I also just took a look at the monster tool just now and I see that I need to de-rust it and several other tools...... The flood rains have not help me to solve the rust problem.
Hard to keep up with mister rust... tried many different kinds of rust removers and rust protectors -- some $$$$$$$ -- I think they all come out of the same 55 gal drum --- and not worth the effort and cost.

Paul

Vaughn - I thought that was it to but it does not fit in the groove of the angle tool. I have a call in to Randy and will follow up on Monday. I may have lost it but i thought i had them all together. I did get another angle tool today that he was kind enough to ship me (the one i bent).

Paul - Patience is something im learning with the rig. Remember i got to aggressive and bent the shaft on one because i was probably pushing the tool harder then i should be. I also have learned to check the laser frequently as i have sliced thru the side of a few now by not checking and being in to much of a hurry. Today i turned another vessel and checked the laser alot and resharped the cutter several times - things went much better.

I found out that if i slow down and take much lighter cuts i do better with it.
I still get alot of jumping as i call in when hollowing even in green wood (which will knock the laser out of adjustment) but its probably technique and learning curve. Today i took one of the cuttters that is used in the angle cutter i bent and reground it to a round scrapper like tip about 20 degrees (it had a pointed tip on it originally)