Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - anyone going there?

Question Windows 7 - anyone going there?

Given the recent problems I've had, and all the 'good' things I've heard about 7, I'm giving serious consideration to moving away from Vista.

Opinions? Experience? Compatability issues?

Don't be shy!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Not until I see that it's stable. Last laptop I got had Vista on it and the first thing I did was convert it back to XP.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I think I heard the DOD just recently approved VISTA. I just switched to XP so you can guess my answer.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

This among others is one of the things I do not want to be the first one to try
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I'll dump Vista at earliest opportunity.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

We've been running it for quite awhile at work to make a decision regarding support (University of California). Although folks who run Vista were left on their own (was never deemed supportable at the scale our folks have to deal with), the help desk and micro-systems folks plan on supporting Windows 7 as of the last I heard.

Although it has a Vista look-n-feel as opposed to the XP you may be used to (or wish you'd never left) it is much friendlier than Vista according to all accounts. I'm a network guy not a PC guy so I work with totally different operating systems but, we use some strains of Windows, Solaris, X-server, BSD, the UX's and probably others that I don't even notice because I don't get down to the OS level on the product.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-17-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Rennie...

I'm on XP Pro. I was a software guy for many years, and knowing what I know about that industry I decided that when Vista came out I'd wait 'til it had some miles on it. Far as I can tell, those were some pretty bad miles. Never did "upgrade" to Vista. And now there's 7, and I'm saying the same thing. Don't want to be a pioneer. XP Pro does everything I need it to do, and as they say if it ain't broke.........

At this point if I had Vista I think I'd upgrade to XP and give MS a couple of years to work the kinks out of 7. Say about Service Pack 3.

Cheers.

I've heard very good things about it and will plan on getting off Vista asap. Our company never upgraded to vista, but is looking at going to 7. A couple of co-workers have the same laptop as I and have upgraded already (one has a MS insider to get pre-released copies). He says it runs about twice as fast and has had good luck with it so far. Sounds like those that lost XP programs will be able to run in XP compatibility mode under 7.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Ed is a wise man. "How can you tell who's the pioneer? He's the guy with all the arrows in his back." It took me a couple years to move to XP Pro. Remember what a nightmare that thing was when it came out? I am now reluctant to leave. It seems even MS is wanting to just pass Vista by as if it never happened ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It seems even MS is wanting to just pass Vista by as if it never happened ;-)
    You'd have thought that they would have learned after Windows ME...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault