Windows 7 - anyone going there?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Given the recent problems I've had, and all the 'good' things I've heard about 7, I'm giving serious consideration to moving away from Vista.

Opinions? Experience? Compatability issues?

Don't be shy!:wave:

We've been running it for quite awhile at work to make a decision regarding support (University of California). Although folks who run Vista were left on their own (was never deemed supportable at the scale our folks have to deal with), the help desk and micro-systems folks plan on supporting Windows 7 as of the last I heard.

Although it has a Vista look-n-feel as opposed to the XP you may be used to (or wish you'd never left) it is much friendlier than Vista according to all accounts. I'm a network guy not a PC guy so I work with totally different operating systems but, we use some strains of Windows, Solaris, X-server, BSD, the UX's and probably others that I don't even notice because I don't get down to the OS level on the product.

Last edited:
Rennie...

I'm on XP Pro. I was a software guy for many years, and knowing what I know about that industry I decided that when Vista came out I'd wait 'til it had some miles on it. Far as I can tell, those were some pretty bad miles. Never did "upgrade" to Vista. And now there's 7, and I'm saying the same thing. Don't want to be a pioneer. XP Pro does everything I need it to do, and as they say if it ain't broke.........

At this point if I had Vista I think I'd upgrade to XP and give MS a couple of years to work the kinks out of 7. Say about Service Pack 3.

Cheers.

I've heard very good things about it and will plan on getting off Vista asap. Our company never upgraded to vista, but is looking at going to 7. A couple of co-workers have the same laptop as I and have upgraded already (one has a MS insider to get pre-released copies). He says it runs about twice as fast and has had good luck with it so far. Sounds like those that lost XP programs will be able to run in XP compatibility mode under 7.

Ed is a wise man. "How can you tell who's the pioneer? He's the guy with all the arrows in his back." It took me a couple years to move to XP Pro. Remember what a nightmare that thing was when it came out? I am now reluctant to leave. It seems even MS is wanting to just pass Vista by as if it never happened ;-)

Don...

Not intending to hijack this thread, but I remember CP/M. I build an IMSAI from a kit...put a 4mhz Z80 in it instead of an 8080. Those front panel switches for inputting data were a hoot. Designed and wire-wrapped a floppy interface for it, too...which worked.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry Rennie.

Cheers.

Stu,
I was stuck doing some work on the early apples b4 windows was ever thought of. It soured me on the apple computers although I will acknowledge that the 68xxx family of chips appears to be supieior to the intel family in term of graphics. 2 me a computer is another tool some like festools, others like grizzly. Me I resort back to what Sam Malloof told me there is no right or wrong tool, just the tool thats gets the job done.

I'll wait and see. I have XP Pro on our office PC, XP Home on my shop PC (came with a free upgrade to Vista which I never installed), and my laptop came with Vista. I can't say that I've ever had any issue with Vista except for not liking the interface as well as XP.

If I can ever stop spending on stuff for my shop, I'll probably start switching to Apple!

as an old mainframe kind of guy, i liked xp well enough, but since i've upgraded to this new pc a while ago, and the wife has her laptop, and both have vista on them, i've yet to run into any kind of problems. the only thing i really had to do, was to replace my almost 10 yr old printer, as lexmark only made drivers for the 5100 series only as far as xp. no great loss, as the printer was only it's last legs anyway. to me, apple really hasn't been all that innovative, and most of thier "breakthroughs" have been from borrowed/stolen technology, going back to thier using the now familiar gui (graphic user interface) screen that we all use today. i laughed a good one when apple was forced to drop thier suit against intel, for starting to use a gui screen, when they were quietly reminded that apple had started using gui software that was stolen from xerox by an ex-xerox employee who was then working for apple. the gui application was developed in house by xerox only for use by thier service techs on laser printers. the only thing apple did, was to make the early pc's more user friendly for those who weren't computer literate. as we liked to say back then, that pc's were for those who can, and apples were for those who wished they could.:D:thumb:

Rennie,

Forget all these arguments, and just go with 7 on Thursday. Friday at the latest. We're moving the University to it with all deliberate speed, not even waiting for the service pack on this one. Just relax and go with the flow, everything will be fine. ;)

Thanks,

Bill

My Kid is the computer geek in our family and he has told me that he will not be going to the new operating system. If anyone who has upgraded to Vista know you need to upgrade lots of your hardware as the & is not supportive of the older systems. I have the Vista 64 bit version and have had no problems with after upgrading the supporting systems. All the problems seem to have been with the 32 bit versions.

Rennie,

Forget all these arguments, and just go with 7 on Thursday. Friday at the latest. We're moving the University to it with all deliberate speed, not even waiting for the service pack on this one. Just relax and go with the flow, everything will be fine. ;)

Thanks,

Bill

"everything will be fine." :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks, I needed a good wake-up laugh. :D