Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL Speed

DSL Speed

I had an interesting experience today.

Our DSL was acting up very badly this morning. Wife was going sorta nuts because nothing would load.

I still had the support phone number for AT&T DSL from a mass outage last week.

So I called. I got one of those people who can only read a script.

But he did finally decide we needed a tech to come out.

The phone guy had me check my speed using www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

It measured 3184. So I thought I should upgrade to the 6 mb speed. Finally got connected online to my account and I was already paying for 6mb speeds.

So I was only getting half.

The At&T guy came out. I was getting 7mb on the box outside my house and 3mb in my home office. Bad wiring.

I had some old lines that were not being used. He used one of those pair with the filter on the box on the side of the house.

Now I have twice the speed at my desk !!!!

Yea.....

Are you getting what you pay for ?

Here is where you can check...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well I got 4636 using my lap top with a wirless connection to the router. I'll run a test later with a direct connection.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    well I got 4636 using my lap top with a wirless connection to the router. I'll run a test later with a direct connection.
    I'm curious to see if it improves. I have my desk only a few feet from the wireless so it would be easy to run a direct connection if it was worth it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I got 5754 on my wireless connection with 2 other computers also on the same wireless running at the same time. I guess thats alright since I also have the 6mb speed from at&t u-verse.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I was curious to. 5864 not much of an increase but the upload speed droped from 7 somthing to 5 something..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I'm curious to see if it improves. I have my desk only a few feet from the wireless so it would be easy to run a direct connection if it was worth it.
    Yes, you will see a difference, but typically you'll only notice the difference when downloading large files or watching streaming media (such as NetFlix).
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

2119/667 for me... and I was feeling inadequate compared to everyone here.

So I checked my account online and confirmed that I was indeed signed up for a plan with 2 Mbps down and 800 Kbps up.

And really, we're pretty satisfied with this. Haven't really noticed any big speed or capacity issues. Now to be sure, I don't download movies at home!

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I've got cable, here's what I got

16846 kbps download 8671 kbps upload

I guess that's 16.8 meg down and 8.6 meg upload?

I pay $14.99 for AT&T DSL. I am supposed to get 700Kbps downstream but I only get 320Kbps. I haven't complained beacuse for normal browsing it is not bad. When I need to download files I use my work's Internet connection.

The Speakesy test was close enough to my NDT server at work to be called the same. That's good enough for me plus, my speeds test as expected. AT&T U-verse just shy of 1 meg out and just shy of 6 meg in; $35 per month. To be honest, my user experience is not that much different that when I ran 768k out, 2 meg in for $25 per month.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke