Result

Bob Gibson

I had my Rockler class yesterday on Natural edge bowl turning. The instructor had a hunk of birch for me.
I can't say that I've been sucked into the "spinny vortex" yet but I did have a good time. This is just about my first attempt of turning anything since high school.
I finally understand now what the terms, chuck, jam chuck, cutting the dovetail, and super sharp tools mean.
It was fun and the bowl came out not too bad.

PA170023 (600 x 450).jpg

PA170024 (600 x 450).jpg

PA170025 (600 x 450).jpg

That's one heck of a first bowl, Bob. (High school attempts don't really count.) Looks like you had some good guidance from the Rockler instructor, but even so, not everybody does that good on the first attempt.

That's one heck of a first bowl, Bob. (High school attempts don't really count.) Looks like you had some good guidance from the Rockler instructor, but even so, not everybody does that good on the first attempt.

Thanks guys. The instructor was really good and very patient.
Once I learned to keep my left hand stationary and how to keep the proper angle on the gouge I was able to produce a satisfying pile of curls and make some really smooth cuts.:D
It's got me thinking about buying a better lathe, (am I being sucked in?) I spent some time on Google yesterday looking for a affordable chuck that will fit on my Shopsmith. This will have to do until I can afford a nicer lathe. I also spent some time in the woods looking over the Shag bark hickory tree that I cut down this spring. I was going to cut out a piece or two but it started snowing and the Patriots game was about ready to start. Hey, even woodworking has to take a backseat sometimes :rofl: