Case for Flint Lock Rifle

Sean Wright

A co-worker of mine, asked me to build a case for an antique flint lock rifle. This was going to be auctioned off at a sportsman's club he belongs to. He gave me the dimensions and that the stock was made of curly maple. He said that he would do the finish on it. Which is good, because I prefer building to finishing any day.

The top and bottom panels are made from curly maple. The sides are made form cherry. The top and bottom panels are rabbeted around the edges, and then seated into a dado in the cherry sides. There is a very slight chamfer along the edge of the panels. It sort of gives it a micro raised panel look. The joinery is through dove tails. The hinges are reproductions of the type of hinges that were around when the rifle would have been new. The guy that I made this for is going to use leather belts to hold it closed.

Attachments

• FLRCase1.jpg
    FLRCase1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 68
  • FLRCase2.jpg
    FLRCase2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 70
  • FLRCase3.jpg
    FLRCase3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 64
  • FLRCase4.jpg
    FLRCase4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • FLRCase5.jpg
    FLRCase5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 61
  • FLRCase6.jpg
    FLRCase6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 56
Great case Sean!

He didn't ask you to make any compartments inside for gun powder, flint stones, and bullets? I would have thought so, but if you do not have the rifle it would have been difficult to fit them.

nice case, you do nice work.

and the second I noticed is that you cant get your speed control box on the 1220vs to stay closed either.

Thank you for the compliement!

The speed control box normally does stay closed. When I pick up the lathe, I open the end and lift up on the inside edge (that the box covers). I just never bothered to click the box back closed. The move to the floor was just a temporary move during that project.

I am still waiting to get a picture of the case with the finish on it.

The guy I made this for was going to use BLO for the finish. I hope it turned out well.

I will keep everyone posted.:wave: