Finishing drawer interior question

A question for the "pros" and not pros, should drawers be finished or not or depends on the case or personal taste?

By finishing I mean applying any type of coating, such as shellac, lacquer, varnish or similar

Unless it's a purely utilitarian application, such as drawers for the workshop, i'm all for finishing the drawers. I usually go with a few layers of gel or wipe on finish - i don't like sanding and definitely wouldn't want to spend the time sanding the insides of drawers. I like gel varnish or danish oil for this purpose. I use shellac for a lot of things, but i don't think i'd use it for this because it softens with heat and humidity. That slip of paper at the bottom of the drawer may NEVER come off. I also don't like lacquer because it's not very durable. It scratches very easily, and drawers do take a lot of abuse with things being dropped into them or sliding around as the drawer is opened and closed.
Varnish or poly (what's in the danish oil) are much more durable.
paulh

Wow, Interesting question.
I looked in all the drawers of the antique dressers and cabinets as well as the newer ones that are in my house and not one of them was finished. :huh:
I've never finished one either. I don't know why though.
But seeing the comments of the real pros like Paul and Don I think my next ones will be finished inside.
Can't wait to see some more comments.

Yes, They are easeir for the lady or clean freak to wipe out. I had one lady that request I spray no less then 5 coats on all surfaces. This mean the back and bottom of the drawers and cabinets. She weekly empty her cabinets to clean them. I find all the wacked out ones.