Pens for turn-a-thon

Our club is hosting a turn-a-thon for the Freedom Pens next weekend but I will not be able to make it, so I got an early start on making some pens to contribute. Did these over the last couple of days. The woods consist of mahogany, bloodwood, colorwood, & corian. I also added a cross on the pen using a woodburning tool. Will try to do some more before this weekend.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0286 (800x600) (700x525) (500x375).jpg
    DSCN0286 (800x600) (700x525) (500x375).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 43
Not a bad pen in the bunch Bobby:thumb: Only thing better is the cause that they were turned for, Well done:thumb::thumb::thumb: I am not a turner or I would love to be part of something like that, but if you or anyone involved in Freedom pens are in need of pen blanks, please PM me and I am more than willing to supply pen blanks. I have red oak, white oak, cherry, zebra wood, walnut, curlie maple, quilted maple, figured teak and more that I am willing to send for this cause:D:wave:

My son who recently came home from Iraq called last night to let us know that on November 8th he and a few others from his unit are being honored at the Radisson Hotel in Manchester.
My wife and I are in a group that sends the basic needs to servicemen and women that are serving overseas every month.
I love the idea of the pens. Thanks for the idea. If I can adapt my Shopsmith lathe to do pens I'm going to learn how to do them and do the same thing. Maybe I can get some done for Nov 8th.
Thanks for the inspiration Bobby.

Bobby, those are a great bunch of pens!!!! Excellent cause!!! My students made 340 pens last year for the servicemen and women. Not sure where they ended up so this year taking them directly to Woodcraft and they will send them on to Freedom Pen Project. We are just now starting them, we have a goal of 400 pens this year.

Great job Bobby, when my son was in Iraq on his first tour there I put his name in and his unit, he's a Navy corpsmen so he uses a pen frequently. He teasures the one he received.

Don, do you mean you put his name on the pen?

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. Bob, I started out turning pen on a shipsmith many a year ago. While the shopsmith is not the best when it comes to turning it can be used to make pens. So dive in, but be warned, turning pens are addictive. Tom, thanks for the offer for pen blanks. While I have plenty, its good to know there is a source if needed.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bobby
Louisiana

Last edited: