Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power sanding pads

Power sanding pads

I'm looking at getting some kind of power sanding for my bowl turning. I read on another forum about this guy http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/index.htm
    Has anyone here used his disks? What type and size do you recommend?
    Tom

I bought a bunch from Vince at the AAW event in Richmond. I had read good things about his product on various forums and was running through some really poorly made wave edge discs from Woodcraft (the paper kept coming off the backing). The ones I bought from Vince are blue and have a mylar backing but no wavy edge. They work great and they last twice as long as the woodcraft wavy discs. What size you get depends on what you are turning and your skill level. Small bowls dictate small discs and large bowls...well, large discs He had starter sets in both 3" and 2" at the show. I haven't checked his web site lately, but maybe get a starter set in both sizes?? I usually start at 120 or 150 grit and go to 320. For those times when my technique fails, I keep some 60 and 80 grit on hand--but not as much as the 120, which I use the most of. Highly recommended!!

Ted, that is pretty much what I have read about them. Do you use a full size drill? I'm thinking of trying to find one of those close quarter 3/8 drills. I've read that the one from Harbour Frieght is not bad.

Tom

Tom, I use the heavy duty pads from Packard, but I've also read a lot of good things about Vince's products.

I use the Harbor Freight close quarter drill, but I wouldn't recommend getting one if you don't live close to a Harbor Freight store, just in case you get a bad one and need to exchange it. When I bought mine a couple years ago, I bought two, and sent one of them to Stu in Tokyo. As it turned out, Stu's fell apart within a month or two, but mine is still going strong after a lot of hours of use. The shipping costs for Stu to return his were too prohibitive, but had mine died, I could have exchanged it easily.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Im going to look into his site to and try some of his sanding discs......

I to have bought some from woodcraft and had the same issues of the backing comming off even before i touched it to the wood. Because i bought several different grits and most had the same problem i solved it by putting a drop of CA glue on it and then was able to use them.

Currently i use a cheap electric sander but would like to go over to the pneumatic and I know alot of people on here have bought Harbor Frieghts and im pretty sure they have been satisfied with it. I also use a sturdy 3" pad to attach to and not the cheap foamy ones because they tear easy and get messed up fast......the sturdy one i bought out of woodturners catalog and has lasted me for a very long time now with no problems and still looks new...cost more but saves in the long run from the cheap ones.....just an opinion
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 10-21-2009 at 02:21 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dan, the HF drill I'm talking about is electric, not pneumatic. My pneumatic sander is a random orbital job from Grex. HF makes a pneumatic sander, but I don't think it's random orbital, just orbital, like the drill.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn - which one do you use the most on your turning then - the grex?
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    Vaughn - which one do you use the most on your turning then - the grex?
    It really depends on the piece. The drill is more aggressive and removes more material faster, but the Grex leaves fewer visible scratches. The drill is quieter and doesn't cause the compressor to run (less energy used, too), but the Grex is easier on my messed up hands and wrists. I'd say I use both pretty much the same amount, and I also sand by hand a fair amount, as well as use an electric 3" ROS from Metabo. I've even used my 5" Ryobi ROS on bigger things. Like I said, it really depends on the piece.

workingwoods.com

Tom,
    I tried a hook and loop system for a while on my power sander... I have a side sander with reversible directions that I got through Amazon for less than the HF sander... it's an odd brand, but has served well over the summer....

Back to the Hook and Loop system, I found that I threw the pads off the holder whenever I hit the edge of the bowls or if I wasn't careful... ruined the pads... they even twisted the foam rubber off a couple of them.

I went to the Powerlock Sanding System from CSUSA... also sold by Packard and likely others.... just that's where I got mine. I like positive click of locking the disc in place and don't lose as many pads that way. I've had the H&L's fly off and evaporate into thin air.... still looking for a couple.

I like the powerlock's because they hold in both forward and reverse sanding. The grits only run through 320, but by then I'm in pretty good shape anyway.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Tom,
    I have the both the HF and Milwaukee? low angle drills. I keep a 2" pad on one and a 3" on the other. The Harbor Frieght drill has been trucking along for over two years now and I will buy another when it goes...it was $19 something on sale one day. The Milwaukee is five years old and the bearings are starting to make a lot of noise. I tried the powerlock system when I first started, but the darn discs kept flying off when I reversed the drill. I figured it was operator error and went with the simpler Velcro pad systems. The key to using them is not to press too hard, because if you really bear down the heat build up destroys the foam pads and even the Velcro fibers.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 10-21-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fix spelling