Portable Planer Recommendation?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an old Delta 12 inch lunchbox planer. Sheet metal 'DC' connector that barely works and the blades are pretty dull. I've got replacement blades, so that's not really an issue, but I've been thinking about an upgrade.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for something in the same general 12+" class?

Thanks!

DeWalt:thumb::thumb: I have the older model, but it is a workhorse. I don't know how much wood I have run through it, but it has been hundreds of board feet. Just this summer got into some pine that I didn't broom off and had sand/dirt in it and dulled the blades. Otherwise, never one problem.

Another Dewalt fan here, I've got a DW734. It's got decent dust collection, lunchbox design with disposable 12.5" blades I don't go through them enough that the disposable aspect becomes a problem.

The 735's have a know reliability issue with the drive sprockets. HOwever Dewalt is standing behind them, so I wouldn't let that sway you too much. The 735 also has its own chip extraction, so you don't 'Have to' run it through your DC if you don't want to. It too uses disposable vs resharpenable blades.

I've used Grizz's Ridgid planer, and that was a fine unit as well, solidly built and didn't blink when we through a ton of maple through it a year or two ago (my dewalt was in storage).

Ive got the Dewalt 733 or 734 cant remember 12 1/2"
Its been great. Had a problem after planing some (250 lf) rough sawn pine without DC and the the dust hood off. Had a real hard time raising and lowering the head after that but that was my fault. After a thorough cleaning it works great.:thumb:

Ive got the Dewalt 733 or 734 cant remember 12 1/2"
Its been great. Had a problem after planing some (250 lf) rough sawn pine without DC and the the dust hood off. Had a real hard time raising and lowering the head after that but that was my fault. After a thorough cleaning it works great.:thumb:

Black top 733, resharpenable blades, silver top 734 see above. If I could Find a 733 I'd buy one, but even the 734 is old enough you wouldn't likely find a new unit available.

The 735's have a know reliability issue with the drive sprockets. HOwever Dewalt is standing behind them, so I wouldn't let that sway you too much. The 735 also has its own chip extraction, so you don't 'Have to' run it through your DC if you don't want to. It too uses disposable vs resharpenable blades.
I've never had an issue. I've run a few hundred bd.ft of maple, oak and pine through it. The chip extrator is excellent but I run it with my DC to keep the mess under control.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 060.jpg
    A1 myshop 060.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Black top 733, resharpenable blades, silver top 734 see above. If I could Find a 733 I'd buy one, but even the 734 is old enough you wouldn't likely find a new unit available.

Mines a black top. So its a 733. I bought it while doing a Trade show at a big hardware store show in Northern New Jersey about 3 or 4 years ago.
Besides being as loud as a 747 on steroids its a real workhorse.

Nice planer storage unit you've got there Bart! :thumb:

Ok Brent here is what the whole thing looks like. Built on a torsion box base. The 2 tools are on 100# full extension glides. The Spindle sander sets on a false bottom box. I pull it out & put air to it & a wheel borrow inner tube laying on its side raises the sander table top to 32" I have an old drummers seat that I set on when using the spindle sander. The bench is around 7' long & rides on heavy duty casters.

Attachments

• Miter-saw multi tool stand 036.jpg
    Miter-saw multi tool stand 036.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Miter-saw multi tool stand 39.jpg
    Miter-saw multi tool stand 39.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Miter-saw multi tool stand 034.jpg
    Miter-saw multi tool stand 034.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ok Brent here is what the whole thing looks like. Built on a torsion box base. The 2 tools are on 100# full extension glides. The Spindle sander sets on a false bottom box. I pull it out & put air to it & a wheel borrow inner tube laying on its side raises the sander table top to 32" I have an old drummers seat that I set on when using the spindle sander. It's around 7' long & rides on heavy duty casters.

That inner tube trick sounds pretty cool. Nice!

I'll be the lone Delta guy - 22-580. I went from the huge Powermatic 24" at work to my 13" lunchbox planer. It was a difference, but I really appreciate the finish it is capable of, and the lack of snipe. So, FWIW, one vote for the Delta.:D

No matter which model you decide to get, if you've got the time, look around a bit and wait for a good deal. I picked up the Delta for $225 when Lowes was closing them out.

Good luck, Wes