Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC for the Lathe

DC for the Lathe

I have seen fellows sending out pictures with in the background, the DC hose duct taped and clamped to light fixtures, roller stands Music stands studs pipes and anything you can think of to hold it near when sanding on the lathe. Well the other day I was holding the hose between my legs trying to catch as much dust as I could when (could have been loss of oxygen from breathing dust) a idea sparked in my worn out old brain. ....

A while back I got an idea about turning 3" PVC pipe couplings to a taper to fit the quick connect on my 4" DC hose (so I could interchange the hose from machine to machine quickly, and cheaply) Why not a quick connect and hang it from the Tool Rest.... You don't need the tool rest when you are sanding. All safety rules say to remove the rest when you sand.

Today I picked up a 3" PVC coupling and found the old jig I made to turn them , and made another , affixed it to a 3/4" dowel rod and mounted it in the Tool Rest Holder

Here it is mounted behind the turning as if to sand from the bottom, but I will most likely use it in front as I usually sand from the top. Whilst writing this, my little mind sparked another thought... (Multi-tasking ) I think I will affix some 1/2" hardware cloth (Rat Wire) across the opening so my sandpaper doesn't get sucked into the DC. (I loose a lot of paper that way)

Now both hands are free to work and the DC can be place close enough to gather the dust and can be moved all about for different sized projects.

Okay, just went back to the shop and cut a piece of wire screen a little larger than the hole and forced it in place, snug fit and seems to work well, will keep from sending paper and pads to the Abiss...

Thanks for looking and and hope this sparks some ideas for you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great Idea, Thanks for sharing.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great idea, Bill! I'm definately going to make one for myself.

Hey, that works!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I like it too. Think I will give it a go. Thanks for posting.

Hey Bill, I made up a "Simpson DC attachment" for my lathe, boy does it suck

Attachment 3528

Attachment 3529

Attachment 3530

There are times when I want use it while turning, so I think I'll make up another banjo of sorts to hold it, but man is that slick, easy to move and place and boy does it work!

Between this and the Triton Power Respirator, I should be breathing much easier!

Thanks again!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great! Glad someone could use the idea.

Doggone it Bill, that's another thing to do before I get my CV cyclone up and running. Thanks for a great idea.

Man, I missed this the first time around. Great idea Bill, and it's given me some ideas to do with the Big Gulp scoop I've got at my lathe. Like Stu, there are times I might want to attach it when I'm using the tool rest, but I should be able to make a plywood mount that rides the bed, and come up with a quick-disconnect attachment between that and the scoop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bill, I think this is a great idea, and thanks for posting it. Now if I could only find a 30mm wood dowel...

Bill
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com