DC for the Lathe

Bill Simpson

I have seen fellows sending out pictures with in the background, the DC hose duct taped and clamped to light fixtures, roller stands Music stands studs pipes and anything you can think of to hold it near when sanding on the lathe. Well the other day I was holding the hose between my legs trying to catch as much dust as I could when (could have been loss of oxygen from breathing dust) a idea sparked in my worn out old brain. ....

A while back I got an idea about turning 3" PVC pipe couplings to a taper to fit the quick connect on my 4" DC hose (so I could interchange the hose from machine to machine quickly, and cheaply) :huh: Why not a quick connect and hang it from the Tool Rest.... You don't need the tool rest when you are sanding. All safety rules say to remove the rest when you sand.

Today I picked up a 3" PVC coupling and found the old jig I made to turn them , and made another , affixed it to a 3/4" dowel rod and mounted it in the Tool Rest Holder

DCforLathe.jpg

Here it is mounted behind the turning as if to sand from the bottom, but I will most likely use it in front as I usually sand from the top. Whilst writing this, my little mind sparked another thought... (Multi-tasking:type: ) I think I will affix some 1/2" hardware cloth (Rat Wire) across the opening so my sandpaper doesn't get sucked into the DC. (I loose a lot of paper that way)

Now both hands are free to work and the DC can be place close enough to gather the dust and can be moved all about for different sized projects.

Okay, just went back to the shop and cut a piece of wire screen a little larger than the hole and forced it in place, snug fit and seems to work well, will keep from sending paper and pads to the Abiss...

DCscreen.jpg

Thanks for looking and and hope this sparks some ideas for you.

Hey Bill, I made up a "Simpson DC attachment" for my lathe, boy does it suck :thumb:

sanding_station.jpg

sanding_station2.jpg

sanding_station_in_use.jpg

There are times when I want use it while turning, so I think I'll make up another banjo of sorts to hold it, but man is that slick, easy to move and place and boy does it work!

Between this and the Triton Power Respirator, I should be breathing much easier! :thumb:

Thanks again! :D

Man, I missed this the first time around. Great idea Bill, and it's given me some ideas to do with the Big Gulp scoop I've got at my lathe. Like Stu, there are times I might want to attach it when I'm using the tool rest, but I should be able to make a plywood mount that rides the bed, and come up with a quick-disconnect attachment between that and the scoop.

Bill,

Thanks for this idea. I just made mine, and it works great. I have one question though. What is hardware cloth? I see it in your pictures, but when I ask for it at Lowe's they just look at me like I'm some kinda idiot. (Which I am, but they don't have to emphasize it :eek: ).

Thanks,
Larry

Bill,

...What is hardware cloth? I see it in your pictures, but when I ask for it at Lowe's they just look at me like I'm some kinda idiot...
Hardware cloth is that coarse screen you see in the pictures. I suspect the Lowe's folks are the idiots, not you. ;) Maybe they'd recognize it as "wire mesh". :huh: