Stopper Buffing Handle

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
I have a three wheel buffing system and made this handle to buff stoppers so I don’t lose them across the garage. The handle is 12 1’2” long with 3/8" x 16 tpi (the size of Ruth Niles’ threaded studs) all thread threaded into the end about 3”, and exposed ¾”. I turned a tennon ¾” long by 15 mm thick to accept a ¾” piece of ½” schedule 40 PVC which saves the handle when buffing the bottom of the stopper.

Attachments

• Stopper buffing handle adj.JPG
    Stopper buffing handle adj.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Stopper handle end adj.JPG
    Stopper handle end adj.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 54
Well...that takes all the fun and excitement away, Chuck. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Looks like a great idea. :thumb: Not sure I understand the reason for the PVC, though. If the buffer hits that handle, seems like all it'd do would be shine up the handle. Am I missing something? Either way, I still like the idea, and will log it away for the future.

Vaughn,

I have cut into the wood on a couple of items that I buffed, probably over aggressive with the white diamond compound, and my thought was that, over a period of time, the end of the handle would get worn away, hence – the PVC collar. It may be overkill, but if my hunch is right, a ¾ chunk of PVC is a lot cheaper than a chunk of Maple. I tend to over think things anyway. By the way, the OD of the PVC is the same OD of Ruth Niles’ #301 stopper.

Vaughn,

I have cut into the wood on a couple of items that I buffed, probably over aggressive with the white diamond compound...

Yeah, if you're removing wood with the buffer, I'd say you're being WAY over aggressive, especially if it's with the white diamond, which is finer than the tripoli compound. ;) But now I see your reasons for adding the PVC collar. :thumb: