Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 to Grizzly G0632 a numbers game

Jet 1642 to Grizzly G0632 a numbers game

Cross Post - so excuse me if your on another forum also

I heard after the 1st of November 2009 that the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 that is now 1799 at WoodCraft will be on sale 15% off. Brings it to 1530 before tax. Grizzly G0632 is 1425 plus 95 shipping. That is 1520.

So a 10 dollar spread plus tax (8 percent for me) or 132.40 gets me 4 more years of warranty.

That is a no brainer there in my book.

I have read a lot on these units, based on this sale the Jet 1642 EVS is the best deal (After November 1st)

BUT !!!!

Hard to do apples to apples though. On the two above units the Jet is 115v 1phase and the Griz is 220v 1phase.

With all the phantom motor HP ratings today, I wonder if true apples to apples for the Griz G0632 is the Jet 1642 EVS 2 Unit. Both of these are 220v 1phase units. Based on that type of comparison - yes I've done this also...

Grizzly G0632 - 220v 1phase - 1425.00 + 95.00 Freight = 1520.00 with a 1 year warranty.

Jet 1642 EVS 2 - 220v 1phase - 1785.00 + 8% tax (142.80) + No Freight Store Pick Up = 1927.80 with 5 year warranty.

This is a 407.08 spread on these two units and that spread I am having trouble justifying.

One way to tell , I think, Is if folks can tell me how big around is their motor case in inches on the g0632 and the Jet 1642 (Both EVS and EVS2).

I saw the PowerMatic 20 inch 2hp motor next to the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 and the case is surely larger around on the PowerMatic (Wish it was in the budget)

One final consideration is the Jet Warranty - If you use your unit commercial (What is that if your selling what you make out of your shop?) . In that case the Jet only has a 1 year warranty and the Grizzly G0632 is the best deal all the way around..

Man this is driving me crazy. I keep changing my mind even as I write this thread.

Those motor sizes would help a lot.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike, do some searches here for answers to some of your Jet vs. Griz question. Before I bought my Griz G0632 I did a lot of research on the two. There were no big surprises regarding differences and a couple areas still remain unclear.
    I concluded that the two are, essentially, the same machine. I think Jet does offer a 220V option.
    The warranty is a big consideration, I'll grant that. But, there is a Griz store within reasonable distance of where I live. My son lives near there also so a trip up is not a chore for me. I can pick up new tools and save shipping.
    BTW, I am very happy with mine, it is a great lathe. These two are 90% of what one buys in brands costing thousands more.
    A tip: If you buy either one, have help assembling. Especially when it comes to lifting the head. It is very-very heavy and would be (literally) a hernia buster if one tried to lift alone.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks for the feedback. Griz put the unit on sale for $1250.00 so I pulled the trigger. I have other Griz stuff and I like it. I have read EVERY scrap I could find and at this price it was the best deal. I even called yesterday and they have them in the wharehouse. So we will see if I get it in the next 10 days. I'll post a review once I get it.

Congrats, Mike. I think I'd tend to lean toward the Jet (being a Mustard fan myself), but at that price the Grizzly would be hard to pass up. May it produce miles and miles of curlies.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ray View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Griz put the unit on sale for $1250.00 so I pulled the trigger. I have other Griz stuff and I like it. I have read EVERY scrap I could find and at this price it was the best deal. I even called yesterday and they have them in the wharehouse. So we will see if I get it in the next 10 days. I'll post a review once I get it.
    Congrats.
    Either way you went you would be happy. As for warranty, methinks most problems show up immediately. The EVS system is the most vulnerable.
    The unit comes very well packed. I put a couple scratches on my unit from the unpacking (there is steel angle iron framing) and got a small bottle of Griz green paint under warranty. Take your time unpacking. It is a bit of a frustrating chore but whoever designed it this way cannot be faulted, the machine is well protected.
    Please do take my advice seriously about not trying to lift the head alone. You could hurt yourself and possibly drop the head ruining it.
    If you plan to add a plank between the legs cut and insert as you assemble the unit. After the legs are bolted in place you cannot insert the plank. DAMHIK
    Pictures later are mandatory.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Mike, one more important tip.
    On the back of the head is the box containing all the sensitive electronic gizzies. The head contains a small read-out window for spindle rpm and some controls. The owners manual is silent on what to do with this box and the controls. Before I fiddled with anything I called Griz tech support. They said to never adjust those controls. They are factory set. I politely suggested to them the owners manual should say that. Oh, well. Just leave them alone.

I have a mill that has a VFD on it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=10

I screwed with it and had to call the mfg to get it fixed. I found the manual online and almost had it fixed. One setting was off and it would not work right.

So I learned my lesson. There are dozens of settings on those units. I read somewhere you like the ramp on and off. That is one of the settings in the VFD. You can shorten or lengthen it.

Trust me - I'll post lots of pics

Here are the pics . Forgot that the forum wont give the pics unless you join.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD View.jpg   IH Mill Size.jpg  

Saturday Order - Wednesday delivery... Pretty good for a Grizzly order.

The unit came well packed, but I also ordered (Double ordered for some reason) a 100lb anvil. So they put them ON TOP of the lathe box. The cardboard was ripped up but the lathe was in good shape. I will tell customer service about it to make sure it was not on their end. That could have been real bad since the whole in the cardboard was close to the VFD and Motor.

Here are pics of the package. I see the differences close up between this unit and the Jet unit. It is a Steel bed not cast (I will look closer at the ways once I get the frame broken down) and the legs are smaller than the Jet unit. I also see the motor diamater is the same as the 110 volt 1.5hp on the Jet. Probably the same basic motor wired 220v.

I'll get it out of the crate (Scrap steel for anvil stand maybe) and put some power to it and see how it sounds at speed. More pics to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G06323.jpg   DSC03638.JPG   G06324.jpg   G06325.jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    injoy the lathe and get some black powder and send the anvil back to them.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward