Jet 1642 to Grizzly G0632 a numbers game

Mike Ray

Cross Post - so excuse me if your on another forum also :eek:

I heard after the 1st of November 2009 that the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 that is now 1799 at WoodCraft will be on sale 15% off. Brings it to 1530 before tax. Grizzly G0632 is 1425 plus 95 shipping. That is 1520.

So a 10 dollar spread plus tax (8 percent for me) or 132.40 gets me 4 more years of warranty.

That is a no brainer there in my book.

I have read a lot on these units, based on this sale the Jet 1642 EVS is the best deal (After November 1st)

BUT !!!!

Hard to do apples to apples though. On the two above units the Jet is 115v 1phase and the Griz is 220v 1phase.

With all the phantom motor HP ratings today, I wonder if true apples to apples for the Griz G0632 is the Jet 1642 EVS 2 Unit. Both of these are 220v 1phase units. Based on that type of comparison - yes I've done this also...

Grizzly G0632 - 220v 1phase - 1425.00 + 95.00 Freight = 1520.00 with a 1 year warranty.

Jet 1642 EVS 2 - 220v 1phase - 1785.00 + 8% tax (142.80) + No Freight Store Pick Up = 1927.80 with 5 year warranty.

This is a 407.08 spread on these two units and that spread I am having trouble justifying.

One way to tell , I think, Is if folks can tell me how big around is their motor case in inches on the g0632 and the Jet 1642 (Both EVS and EVS2).

I saw the PowerMatic 20 inch 2hp motor next to the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 and the case is surely larger around on the PowerMatic (Wish it was in the budget)

One final consideration is the Jet Warranty - If you use your unit commercial (What is that if your selling what you make out of your shop?) . In that case the Jet only has a 1 year warranty and the Grizzly G0632 is the best deal all the way around..

Man this is driving me crazy. I keep changing my mind even as I write this thread.

Those motor sizes would help a lot.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, do some searches here for answers to some of your Jet vs. Griz question. Before I bought my Griz G0632 I did a lot of research on the two. There were no big surprises regarding differences and a couple areas still remain unclear.
I concluded that the two are, essentially, the same machine. I think Jet does offer a 220V option.
The warranty is a big consideration, I'll grant that. But, there is a Griz store within reasonable distance of where I live. My son lives near there also so a trip up is not a chore for me. I can pick up new tools and save shipping.
BTW, I am very happy with mine, it is a great lathe. These two are 90% of what one buys in brands costing thousands more.
A tip: If you buy either one, have help assembling. Especially when it comes to lifting the head. It is very-very heavy and would be (literally) a hernia buster if one tried to lift alone.

Thanks for the feedback. Griz put the unit on sale for $1250.00 so I pulled the trigger. I have other Griz stuff and I like it. I have read EVERY scrap I could find and at this price it was the best deal. I even called yesterday and they have them in the wharehouse. So we will see if I get it in the next 10 days. I'll post a review once I get it.

Congrats, Mike. I think I'd tend to lean toward the Jet (being a Mustard fan myself), but at that price the Grizzly would be hard to pass up. :thumb: May it produce miles and miles of curlies. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Griz put the unit on sale for $1250.00 so I pulled the trigger. I have other Griz stuff and I like it. I have read EVERY scrap I could find and at this price it was the best deal. I even called yesterday and they have them in the wharehouse. So we will see if I get it in the next 10 days. I'll post a review once I get it.

Congrats. :thumb:
Either way you went you would be happy. As for warranty, methinks most problems show up immediately. The EVS system is the most vulnerable.
The unit comes very well packed. I put a couple scratches on my unit from the unpacking (there is steel angle iron framing) and got a small bottle of Griz green paint under warranty. Take your time unpacking. It is a bit of a frustrating chore but whoever designed it this way cannot be faulted, the machine is well protected.
Please do take my advice seriously about not trying to lift the head alone. You could hurt yourself and possibly drop the head ruining it.
If you plan to add a plank between the legs cut and insert as you assemble the unit. After the legs are bolted in place you cannot insert the plank. DAMHIK :eek:
Pictures later are mandatory. ;)

Mike, one more important tip.
On the back of the head is the box containing all the sensitive electronic gizzies. The head contains a small read-out window for spindle rpm and some controls. The owners manual is silent on what to do with this box and the controls. Before I fiddled with anything I called Griz tech support. They said to never adjust those controls. They are factory set. I politely suggested to them the owners manual should say that. Oh, well. Just leave them alone.

I have a mill that has a VFD on it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=552404&postcount=10

I screwed with it and had to call the mfg to get it fixed. I found the manual online and almost had it fixed. One setting was off and it would not work right.

So I learned my lesson. There are dozens of settings on those units. I read somewhere you like the ramp on and off. That is one of the settings in the VFD. You can shorten or lengthen it.

Trust me - I'll post lots of pics :)

Here are the pics . Forgot that the forum wont give the pics unless you join.
:eek:

Attachments

• VFD View.jpg
    VFD View.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IH Mill Size.jpg
    IH Mill Size.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 80
Saturday Order - Wednesday delivery... Pretty good for a Grizzly order.

The unit came well packed, but I also ordered (Double ordered for some reason) a 100lb anvil. So they put them ON TOP of the lathe box. The cardboard was ripped up but the lathe was in good shape. I will tell customer service about it to make sure it was not on their end. That could have been real bad since the whole in the cardboard was close to the VFD and Motor.

Here are pics of the package. I see the differences close up between this unit and the Jet unit. It is a Steel bed not cast (I will look closer at the ways once I get the frame broken down) and the legs are smaller than the Jet unit. I also see the motor diamater is the same as the 110 volt 1.5hp on the Jet. Probably the same basic motor wired 220v.

I'll get it out of the crate (Scrap steel for anvil stand maybe) and put some power to it and see how it sounds at speed. More pics to come.

Attachments

• G06323.jpg
    G06323.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03638.JPG
    DSC03638.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 72
  • G06324.jpg
    G06324.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 82
  • G06325.jpg
    G06325.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 83
Mike said of the G0632: "I see the differences close up between this unit and the Jet unit. It is a Steel bed not cast ...."

Mike, when I was considering buying mine there was a great deal of e-talk on various forums about these two lathes. To get answers, I contacted both Griz and Jet.
The response I got from Griz was that the bed on the G0632 was cast steel. Jet said theirs was cast iron.
Griz also told me they had done vibration tests on cast steel vs. cast iron and could not determine if there was any difference in vibration absorption between the two. But, their tests did show that if there were any difference it would be absorbed by the cast iron legs.
My conclusion is that it is a non-issue.
I have seen a couple of the Jets and, to my eyeballs, the legs look identical. But, I haven't measured.
As to the motor. Jet and Griz both told me the motors are manufactured by different companies. Neither would venture into saying whether one was better or worse than the other.
BTW, whoever loaded that anvil on top of your crate should have one dropped on his head.

I took more of the frame loose today and fired up the lathe to make sure it was not damaged in anyway. It ran fine. I cleaned the cosmoline off the bed and let the unit run in different directions for about an hour total stopping and starting.

Man it is packed well. Had to unbolt it. I think it is secured in about 10 different places and I still have to unbolt it from the base. More pics to follow.

I can see where the base parts would be cast, but it is not all one piece like the legs. I also noticed that the legs shelf table will need the 2x4 modified a little as the leg tab does not give enough room for all of the area.

But if you look at the Jet Manual page 10

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/m_708359.pdf

You can see how they got the shelf put in (Frank that is for you :) ) after the unit was assembled.

Man this motor hums .. I have a bigger version on my 3 axis mill and they sound just a like. I'll use my hoist to get it up on the legs in the next day or two.

My first projects will be to turn some seasoned white oak I cut up to make handles for some of my other tools I am making.

Glad you got together just fine. Also glad the motor and headstock "hum".
My plank was put in after the fact utilizing jacks, shims and language not permitted here. Who reads the manual? ;)
And, speaking of cosmoline. Take apart the tailstock (very easy) and clean it. Then lube with something lighter than the cosmoline in there now. If you don't, eventually, it will become difficult to turn.
Picture of set-up lathe mandatory. :rolleyes:

Ok here are more pics of my G0632 coming off the pallet. Again very well packed (You can see all the bolts in the back ground). I also ran it on the stand just to make sure it worked before I did a lot to get it on the stands.

Attachments

• DSC03665.JPG
    DSC03665.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03662.JPG
    DSC03662.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03661.JPG
    DSC03661.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 51
I figured out a cool way to get it up on the legs without a lift. I slid the heavy stuff to the other end and lifted up the light end and bolted on the legs. I added the feet after, doing it again I would put the feet on first.

So far so good. My back is still intact and this process actually was completed in about 30 minutes taking my time.

Attachments

• DSC03667.JPG
    DSC03667.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03668.JPG
    DSC03668.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03670.JPG
    DSC03670.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03674.JPG
    DSC03674.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03676.JPG
    DSC03676.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 48
I fired it up and ran my white oak piece on it. Man I can tell a difference to this and my ShopSmith unit that I have setup for turning also. I have the speed reducer on that unit and I can see why it takes me so long to do anything.

I ran the white oak piece at about 980 RPMs on the G0632 before it started vibrating. (Need some ballast). Then I balanced the piece and went up to about 1100. Man I can tell the difference as to why a heavier lathe is better.

Attachments

• DSC03682.JPG
    DSC03682.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Congrats on the set up and getting dirty for the first time.
I like your lifting technique. My small, cluttered shop wouldn't allow for that. Parts had to be carried.
Keep us informed about your use. I'm sure you will enjoy. :thumb: