Jet 1642 to Grizzly G0632 a numbers game

Here is some dogwood I did today. It was from a dead tree on my farm. It had some small cracks and after I turned it they were small , but a few hours later they started to open up.

How can I stop the cracks? Or do I let them run and use an epoxy type filler?

I am soing to shoot some photos of my machine and go over my thoughts.

I love the unit overall !!!

Attachments

• Crack Bottom.JPG
    Crack Bottom.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Long Crack.JPG
    Long Crack.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
Looks like a genuine bonker there, Mike. :thumb: Turning bonkers is sort of a rite of passage with new lathes.

Chances are you won't be able to completely stop the cracks in that dogwood. I'd just let them run their course, then decide if it'd look better with the cracks filled or not.

I am going to center bore this and maybe put some steel accents on it and a heavy base to tuen it into a lamp.

I have the base of the tree and I am going to try to turn it into a bowl. We will see....

I took pics today of my system. I wanted to give some feed back on it. In this post I will just show how I used the plastic sheet for a cover. I am going to email Grizzly to see if they have or would consider selling covers for their equipment. ...

Attachments

• DSC03693.JPG
    DSC03693.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 37
Well I like the G0632 very much. I think for the money (On sale right now) it was a great buy. I have only a few piddley things I don't like about it.

1. The tool rest seems to stick when you try to move it. I think the painted underside is causing this. You can also see in the picture how the bed is welded showing even better that the bed is not cast.

2. The handles for the Tail stock are on the back side of the unit. And the handle could be better attached. The center shaft of the tail stock has a plastic bushing by the handle for the drive screw. This should have been a sealed bearing or at least a brash bushing. I am sure I will correct that. :D

3. The head stock handle hits the VFD and is also a pain to deal with when the head is on one of it's pivot points. I will see more in the future as I mess with bowls to see how big of an issue this is.

4. The head practically hits the ways when the motor is on the high speed pullys. That screw in the picture sits on the ways when the head is turned. Once you lock the head down the screw does raise a bit and barley misses the ways.. I see some scratches in my future...:eek:

But over all again for the money it is worth it. I am going to add a shelf for balast and a side shelf for tools. This system will also be setup for metal spinning, but that is yet to come.

Attachments

• DSC03694.JPG
    DSC03694.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC03699.JPG
    DSC03699.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC03702.JPG
    DSC03702.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC03705.JPG
    DSC03705.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC03701.JPG
    DSC03701.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 43
Well I like the G0632 very much. I think for the money (On sale right now) it was a great buy. I have only a few piddley things I don't like about it.

1. The tool rest seems to stick when you try to move it. I think the painted underside is causing this. You can also see in the picture how the bed is welded showing even better that the bed is not cast.

My too rest slides smoothly, has never stuck. Only welds on my bed are the spreaders. Grizzly has told me the bed is cast steel, FWI.

2. The handles for the Tail stock are on the back side of the unit. And the handle could be better attached. The center shaft of the tail stock has a plastic bushing by the handle for the drive screw. This should have been a sealed bearing or at least a brash bushing. I am sure I will correct that. :D

The rear placed tail stock handle is not at all in an inconvenient spot. I prefer it there to bumping into in on front. I wonder how many makes of lathe put them on the front. :dunno:

3. The head stock handle hits the VFD and is also a pain to deal with when the head is on one of it's pivot points. I will see more in the future as I mess with bowls to see how big of an issue this is.

That caught my attention, hasn't been a problem. So, I looked at mine and the shaft for the handle is about one inch beyond the VFD box. [I went out again and measured. My shaft is 6" long. If yours is shorter, I'll betcha a call to Griz tech support will get you a new one under warranty.]

4. The head practically hits the ways when the motor is on the high speed pullys. That screw in the picture sits on the ways when the head is turned. Once you lock the head down the screw does raise a bit and barley misses the ways.. I see some scratches in my future...:eek:

The corresponding screw on my unit is about at a 45 degree angle above the ways and not a problem.

But over all again for the money it is worth it. I am going to add a shelf for balast and a side shelf for tools. This system will also be setup for metal spinning, but that is yet to come.

We obviously have different likes/dislikes. I have a couple nit picks with the unit also. But, as you say, for the money, probably best value on the market.

Don't be so sure the store knew about this new lathe.
I have talked with the manager in Springfield, MO and he is not always kept 100% up to date on new stuff.
But, this looks like a dandy. No doubt Griz is trying to be very competitive in the wood lathe market.
I'll bet they discontinue the G0632 because of the head to head fight with the Jet 1642.
OTOH, can't say I blame ye for being a bit.....uh....miffed.

Interesting - I was lookin around the Griz site this am and the G0698 is gone off the site.

I sent them an email about it a week or so ago and I am sure others did as well telling them they were not happy.

I guess they will hold it till after the first of the year...

Of course my lathe works great and I love it... Just did not feel the love from Griz on that one :) .....

Mike

Well that is weird. It was there Friday I know for sure...I was looking at it again! Hope they bring it back...I'm gonna try and save some $$ for a new lathe in the new year and it was already on my list.

I wasn't familiar with that model.
Looks like an overgrown G0632.
I found the owners/parts manual online and it is listed at only 1/2 hp.
That may have been it's failing. I know I wouldn't want it with that teensy motor.
Griz is bringing out new models fairly rapidly. Seems to me they are going to be the big dogs in the wood lathe business pretty soon.

Well that is weird. It was there Friday I know for sure...I was looking at it again! Hope they bring it back...I'm gonna try and save some $$ for a new lathe in the new year and it was already on my list.

Jeff I also was looking at that lathe and as my wife told me i could probbly get a new one. i was seriously thinking about that one. We'll see how the state of the economy goes.:dunno:

Yeah - I looked at it and it was a 18x47 with a 2hp motor. You should call Grizzly and ask them about it on the phone. They may have fingered out that the G0632 won't sell with that machine sitting right next to it. But I am sure they have them.

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/manuals/g0698_m.pdf

Google finds what folks hide :) . I downloaded it this time.

I see the unit will not swivel (Says it will do 0 or 180 ...funny) and has a 1/2 horse power TEFC Motor (Fan blows across the ribs on the outside. The motor itself is sealed. It also says the bed is cast iron... it will be interesting to see if this is true.

I also wonder how well that TEFC 1/2 hp motor will hold up. I saw one on a drill press by Rigid, but that will not have tho load these lathes will have with large bowls.... Feelin a little better on my G0632 purchase ....

I saw another post where this unit will be a 2010 offering and that is why it is not active on the site.

If you read the parts breakdown at the end its listed as a 2 hp motor. 12 amps seems to be a little high for a 1/2 hp motor.