Telemarfketers to get cell Phone numbers

I've always wondered at the way you cell charges are, here in Japan, if I call Don, I pay for the call, 100%, he pays nothing, as he did not start the call. There was a scam here where a computerized thing calls your cell, and then hangs up after just two rings, lots of people call back, the number is one of these numbers where if you "listen" you have to pay the cell charges, but also the per second charges to the company that who set up the scam charge (you are billed on your cell phone invoice). The government finally put an end to that one, with new rules.

We get telemarketers all the time calling the L shop, I do one of three things;

Start speaking English
Hang up
Hand the phone to the Monster In Law, as she will take over the conversation and start whining and complaining about everything and not listen to the telemarketer, they usually hang up on her :D

Tom,
This was not an E Mail. This was in our local paper and when you call the number you get the FCC. If you choose not to do it thats your privilage. I am only the messager so don't shoot me.

Local newspapers have been known to fall for scams and myths, too. Can you say Balloon Boy? :rofl:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.shtm

And many more...

Not saying that listing your cell phone on the Do Not Call list is a bad idea, but there is no impending rush of telemarketing calls headed your way.

Stu,
When I lived in Cali and B4 the DoNotcall thing I used to harass the caller. I had one person a call trying to sell portrats. I told him that I was blind so a prtrat wouldn't do me any good. Undaunted he asked me if I thaught abot my relatives, wouldn't they want a picture of me. I went on to say that If I had a picture taken I would have no way to see if it was indeed a picture of me. He hung up.
Another time I had a caller selling barley stuffed pillows or some such. I told him I didn't need one since I slept on a bad of nails.
I kinda miss the old days.
:D:rofl:

Well done, Don. :thumb:

Years ago I was practicing my guitar one day, and I had an automated call doing some type of survey. It asked me a question (Who is buried in Grant's tomb, or something similar), so I put the phone receiver in front of my speaker cabinet, cranked up the amp to 10, and started making the loudest racket I could. Screeches, dive bombs, feedback, rumbles, the works. When I was done, I picked up the phone, only to hear the computer say: "Thank you. The next question is..." So I let it ask me the question, and I again answered with the most irritating sounds I could make with my guitar. This continued for another half dozen questions or so, until the survey was completed. I'd have loved to see the look on the poor sap's face who had to listen to the tape of all the survey responses. After a few hours of hearing "Yes" or "No" answers, all of a sudden, at full volume, he got BEEEEwoooorahrahrahrahrahrahraskreewowawowawowaBANGBANGBANG...etc. :rofl:

I do not believe that to be true. That is one of those phoney e-mails that floats around all the time.

Tom

It is a phoney message. The only thing that changes is the date. I called that number and it is the Federal Trade Commission, not the FCC. It is the national do not call registry, I registered for the heck of it to update my previous do not call registration.
As for cell phones, this is an old rumor that can be researched at any of the hoax buster sites.

Typically your cell phone number is unlisted and they also say on their site that the emails about cell phones is a hoax. I suspect that by adding to the DoNotCall list your number then becomes listed on their list, which various organizations (political, surveys, etc) can download and use.

Last edited:
I just gotta find this link somewhere. There was a radio host or comedian who, when called by a telemarketer, pretended to be a Police officer at a murder scene of the person who the telemarketer called. It was one of the funniest things I have ever heard.
If I can find it I'll post it.

Last edited:
I just gotta find this link somewhere. There was a radio host or comedian who, when called by a telemarketer, pretended to be a Police officer at a murder scene of the person who the telemarketer called. It was one of the funniest things I have ever heard.
If I can find it I'll post it.

It was also used on an episode of NCIS..