Biesemeyer alert...............

Mark Rios

For those who may have gotten one of the deals on a basic Uni from Amazon or for anyone looking to upgrade their fence............

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000EI969/bretsreviews4-20

EDIT: There is a shipping note on the page that says that this item has a $199 shipping charge. I called Amazon and I was told by two different people that this shipping cost is quite probably incorrect. They will call me back tomorrow and tell me more after they look into it further.

Last edited:
Mark,

I was ready to pull the trigger on that, and had called Amazon earlier (actually their system calls you, kinda cool I guess). I was also told that shipping was $49, the reason being for the long rails.

However, in digging around Amazon tonight, I see what appears to be the same, with the exception of the W at this link, and shipping is only $19.99, and the price is ~$50 cheaper. I believe the different between the two are the legs, and the W includes the legs. But I don't need/want the legs, I just want the fence and rails/tube. In fact, I don't think I need the rear rail, that appears if you want to use the extension and legs (which the instructions tell you how to construct the extension table from the Biesmeyer website). My table is about 40" x 44", solid cast iron. It will just about fit my saw nicely with no extension, using the 30" version. You gotta admit that $30 for a couple legs is a premium for shipping...:dunno: (not to mention the extra $50)

At first I thought the W was for the white version, but I think it's the legs and in the installation manual from their website it says, "Depending on the model ordered, an accessory leg kit may also be included".

EDIT: I think the W is for white, the legs look seperate on that page you linked to also...I don't know, $50 for non-white and another $30 for shipping...that's a nobrainer for me. My saw is black. Any color will go with it!

Here's the link to the Amazon site for the BC30 (rather than the BC30W).

$279.90, shipping included.

Last edited:
I called Amazon about the fence Alan had pointed to and it comes with 84" guide tube and mounting hardware. That's a real deal for $279 including shipping.

Mike

Mike,

I see the price went up today. It's now $279.99 + $19.99 shipping.

It was $259.91 + $19.99 ending up at $279.90 previously.

I notice prices doing that on Amazon, in fact the PSI table saw guard was $138.xx a couple days ago also, I was eyeing it, and now it's $174.99, so I might have missed the boat on that but am watching it to see if it drops down again.

Wow, Alan - that was quick. I ordered it this morning at the $259.91 price + $19.99 shipping. Maybe my order was the trigger for them to raise the price????

It comes with an 84" guide tube which is too long for my shop. I should try to trade with someone before I cut it.

Thanks for pointing that offer out. I'd have liked a longer fence but the price on this one was right. It'll be a lot better than my old stock fence.

Mike

Mike,

I see the price went up today. It's now $279.99 + $19.99 shipping.

It was $259.91 + $19.99 ending up at $279.90 previously.

I notice prices doing that on Amazon, in fact the PSI table saw guard was $138.xx a couple days ago also, I was eyeing it, and now it's $174.99, so I might have missed the boat on that but am watching it to see if it drops down again.

Alan, you're aware of "Amazon Price Watch" right?

http://www.frozenwarrior.com/~pricewatch/

Along with their daily price watch thing, you can enter up to 4 ASIN numbers of the items that you want to watch the prices on and they will email you when/if the price drops.

Mike,

I agree on the longer fence, I wanted the 48" fence myself as I have a 14"-16" saw. However, they wanted almost the same price for the fence only (aprox $240), and the rails are like $125 aprox. AFAICT, it's only the length, the size of the fence is still the same.

I figure I can add an extra wood fence to it if I need it longer, but this 42" should be almost perfect on my table saw with no extension tables.

Glad I was able to catch that link myself...Amazon is an interesting place...always good to see someone else save some $$$s from the big boys as well! :thumb:

EDIT: Mark, no I wasn't aware of them...I might put a watch on the PSI tsguard, although I have another plan to possibly use my original guard in the mean time.

Last edited:
It comes with an 84" guide tube which is too long for my shop. I should try to trade with someone before I cut it.
BTW Mike, they could be wrong on that, the Biesmeyer website says that 64" guide tube should be included with the BC30, I suspect that will be 42" for the BC30. The BC50 does include an 84" (7 ft) guide tube for the model with 12" to the left of the blade. There sure are enough models and types to spin one's head...

Last edited:
BTW Mike, they could be wrong on that, the Biesmeyer website says that 64" guide tube should be included with the BC30, I suspect that will be 42" for the BC30. The BC50 does include an 84" (7 ft) guide tube for the model with 12" to the left of the blade. There sure are enough models and types to spin one's head...
Alan - I think you're right. I checked the Biesemeyer site and that's what I found - the BC30 comes with a 64" tube and guide rails of 52".

I have to admit that I was very confused about what the measurements meant in the Amazon ad. I thought that a 30" fence meant that the actual fence was 30" long. Apparently, the way Biesemeyer does things, the measurement given (30" or 50" or whatever) means the maximum distance that the fence can be moved to the right of the saw blade. So a 30" fence means that you can cut up to 30" on the right side of your saw.

From the Biesemeyer site, it appears that there are only two fence lengths, 42" and 48", for the commercial Delta products (I didn't check the other brands).

So I suppose that what I'm going to get is a fence thats 42" long, a guide tube thats 64" long, and two guide rails that are 52" long. Actually, that will work well for me since I don't have room in my shop for longer guide rails.

I'll let you know what's actually in the package when I receive it.

Mike

So I suppose that what I'm going to get is a fence thats 42" long, a guide tube thats 64" long, and two guide rails that are 52" long. Actually, that will work well for me since I don't have room in my shop for longer guide rails.
Yes, exactly what I suspect also, and yes, the 30" fence has to do with the amount of distance on the right side of the blade, not the actual size of the fence.

There appear to be 3 size fences, AFAICT. The homeshop version has a 36" fence, the commercial version has a 42" fence, and there's a longer fence for 12"-14" blades which is 48". I don't know if I would have preferred the 48" fence or not, even though my blade is 14"-16" on my saw (it will hold an 18" blade, but I have 14" rip blades and 16" combo). I think it depends on how much stick past the end or not. I think with my saw it's safer to have the fence not sticking over the end of the table. For most saws, the 48" will be all they need. The 48" fence by itself was just about as much as the 30" version with rails. My table is 40" in length, so it seems 42" should be just about perfect.

What type of saw are you putting yours on? I suspect most saws don't even require drilling holes in them, I don't know if I'll need to or not (but prepared to).

What type of saw are you putting yours on? I suspect most saws don't even require drilling holes in them, I don't know if I'll need to or not (but prepared to).
Nothing like yours - I have an older Craftsman contractor's saw that I've upgraded with a 2HP TEFC motor. It's all tuned up and works well for me.

I'm not concerned about the mounting holes - like you, I can drill and tap new holes if needed.

I do plan to buy a cabinet saw and will use the fence on that - so I can buy a "bare" cabinet saw. For a while, I was thinking SawStop but now I'm thinking 3HP with a riving knife. I believe that all new cabinet saws have to have a riving knife so I should have some choices soon.

Mike

Nothing like yours - I have an older Craftsman contractor's saw that I've upgraded with a 2HP TEFC motor. It's all tuned up and works well for me.

I'm not concerned about the mounting holes - like you, I can drill and tap new holes if needed.

I do plan to buy a cabinet saw and will use the fence on that - so I can buy a "bare" cabinet saw. For a while, I was thinking SawStop but now I'm thinking 3HP with a riving knife. I believe that all new cabinet saws have to have a riving knife so I should have some choices soon.

Mike
Actually I had a very similar saw, the Ridgid 3612, which I sold recentely. I kept stalling on selling it as I used it for a couple things (router table for one), and it was a very reliable saw for me. In fact, a slightly higher powered motor as you did to yours may have been able to tide me over.

I opted for a vintage saw, and really like what I ended up with, it's one heck of a saw. For new I would seriously consider the SawStop or the Steel City machines look pretty good also. The Generals are also good, the Jets, and many used Unisaws around. There's a lot of choices on decent saws in today's market.

I'm destined to keep the Yates-American now, and want to get it tuned up with a nice fence and possibly guard that can be hooked up to my future DC.

I can see merit in having a shop without a table saw, and using a band saw for most everything. Even though I see merit in it, I like the accuracy of the table saw. :rolleyes:

Mike,

I got a vmail at work today that a large package came and they couldn't deliver it, I had to pick it up.

Unfortunately I didn't get the vmail until after 5:00pm and the mail center goes home then.

I have to get it tomorrow, but it got me wondering, they've delivered stuff that was 3'-4' I think, so I wonder if the rails really are 84"...I'll know tomorrow...news at 11:00...

Did you get yours today?

Mike,

I got a vmail at work today that a large package came and they couldn't deliver it, I had to pick it up.

Unfortunately I didn't get the vmail until after 5:00pm and the mail center goes home then.

I have to get it tomorrow, but it got me wondering, they've delivered stuff that was 3'-4' I think, so I wonder if the rails really are 84"...I'll know tomorrow...news at 11:00...

Did you get yours today?
According to the UPS tracking (1Z W88 48Y 03 1417 971 0), the package arrived in Anaheim this am, which usually means they'll deliver today. However, it doesn't say "Out for delivery" which it usually does. I'll let you know if it shows up today. I'm at the end of the route which means delivery is not until very late in the day - approx 6pm PST.

Mike

Mike,

I'll find out today hopefully, if I ever get my lazy self into the office...:rofl:

EDIT: I called them Mike, and it's 44" x 20", so it was just the weight that prevented them from delivering it. (what a bunch of ladies, can't deliver 76 lbs...). One of the other guys delivered a benchtop planer to my office...go figure...it weighed more than 76 lbs., I know that...

Last edited:
Thanks to Mike providing his tracking number, I see that his has been delivered. :D

WTG Mike. Show us what you got!!!!! :thumb:
Well, I got a 42 inch fence and 62 inch guide tube. The tube and support rails weigh a ton. Oh, and also included in the package was an "extra" of two support legs for the extension fence. I'll post a picture later today - got to run somewhere now.

Mike

It's bigger than my saw!

Attachments

• Sand shaded fan (580 x 773).jpg
    Sand shaded fan (580 x 773).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Mike,

I have mine in my car, and there is evidentially a difference in the way that I measure and the way the mail room measures, because the package he told me was 44" x 20" turned out to be about 4"x4"x65", and I have to think I have what you have.

This looks like exactly what I wanted, but I'm getting cold feet about removing my stock fence...(I'll get over it quick though;-).

EDIT: Exactly what I wanted except I didn't get the fence, it must be at the mail room with the brainiacs I 'spose. I noticed on the box as I was opening it, "Carton 2 of 2", usually not a good sign when you get 1 carton.:-(

Last edited:
Interesting, my fence went DHL, but the rails and tube went UPS.

I guess that's how we get the cheap shipping, I'm ok with that I 'spose.

Kinda like getting a connecting flight to save cost on the airplane ticket fees, and in my case time is not of the same importance as cost of shipping.;)