Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions before I apply finish

Questions before I apply finish

Here is my first finished bowl/plate project out of walnut. I still have some light sanding to do. The darker stripes are in the wood itself. At first I thought I somehow caused that while sanding but it is smooth. The grain of the wood looks like it may still have some fine dust in the pores of the wood. Do I need to do something with this before I apply a finish. Can I wipe it down with a lightly damp cloth or will that raise the grain too much? I plan on buying some kind of oil finish tomorrow to put on it. What looks best on walnut? What is the best way to apply an oil finish? Brush...cloth?

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1932 resized.jpg   1933 resized.jpg   1934 resized.jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Don't use water, use mineral spirits. Then take some BLO and wipe it down with that. Then apply some wipe on poly. Great looking Bowl/Plate
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice looking bowl/plate Tom. Do post some pictures after the finish.

Your bowl/plate is looking real nice, Tom.

The fine dust can usually be blown off the piece if you have an air compressor and a blow nozzle. If not, wiping it with mineral spirits should remove most of the dust. You can wipe it with water (preferably distilled, but I just use tap), but it will indeed raise the grain, causing you to have to re-sand with fine paper (I use 600 grit) before applying the finish, and you'd still be back at the 'dust in the pores' problem.

Don's BLO suggestion is fine...if you want to use BLO and wait a few days for it to cure before putting anything over it. I usually go with a few coats of a wipe-on oil/varnish blend like Minwax Antique Oil or Formby's Tung Oil Finish. They tend to cure more quickly than BLO, and I like the finished results better than the wipe-on polyurethane finishes I've tried.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    if you want to use BLO and wait a few days for it to cure before putting anything over it.
    I usualy dilute the BLO 1:1 with mineral spirits. I never wait more then an hour B4 applying finish. Oh wait Vaughn you not in Arizona were it cures quicker...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If I use the Minwax oil or Tung oil do I need to buff them when dry? I don't have any way to buff bowls yet. I am going to Woodcraft and Rockler tomorrow so if I need to buff then I will need to pick up a few more items. Damn the vortex!

Tom

Tom,

You an also wipe down with Denatured Alcohol to get rid of the dust, but I use the compressor and blast the sandpaper before I go to the next grit. Greatly extends the life of the sandpaper.

If you are going to get a buffing system at Woodcraft, get the Beall system. A similar buffing system is from Don Pencil, but I think you have to order it on line.
    Last edited by Chuck Rodekohr; 10-24-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Tom I generally use two finishes. General Finishes Seal-A-Cell topped with Arm-R-Seal. The other is Minwax Antique Oil. Buffing is in the eye of the beholder. I don't buff all bowls.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, I'm done. Here is my first completed project. Made out of walnut. Finish is just one coat of Tung oil and lightly buffed. Not perfect by any means but it is a start. I see EVERY imperfection but overall I am happy with it. It was fun to make and has me excited about turning more.
    I found a small glass dish at my local Goodwill store for .25 cents and placed it on top of my plate and added a candle.
    Comments and critics welcome,

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1941 resized.jpg   1945 resized.jpg   1946 resized.jpg  

very nice, well done.