9 Plane Gloat

Dan Gonzales

For some reason I remembered I had a box of planes that had been given to me 10 years ago. I was living in an apartment at the time so I had boxed them up and put them in storage. When I moved back to California they went onto a garage rafter shelf and I completely forgot about them. So this is a very belated gloat of sorts.

Here's what was in the box.

planes.JPG

1. Defiance #4 (stamped on blade)
2. Fulton #3
3. Stanley 9½ (blue)
4. Stanley low angle (black)
5. Stanley #3 w/corrugated sole
6. Stanley #4 brazed repair and weird knob
7. Stanley #5
8. Stanley #6 rounded top edges, the blade appears to have been well used
9. Stanley #6 machined/ground top edges

Guess I need to figure out how they work.

Cheers,

The only planes I've used are an old Stanley regular angle block plane, a Record low angle block plane and a Stanley 92 rabbet plane for cleaning up tenons. Just had what I needed. I really don't know if I will use these planes as I enjoy using my power jointer and planer.

I might even send you a bowl of home made Posole as payment..

Ha! Had some menudo for lunch... mmmmm
(A Mexican soup with the key ingredients being tripe, hominy and red chile.)

Dang, now I'm hungry. :rofl:

Wow thats like Xmas come early Dan. Way to go what a great surprize.:)

=1 on the tripe. My Dad loved it but i could not get to grips with it. Do like the beans though.:thumb:

my wife has been trying to get me to eat the colombian version of menudo, called mondongo. i basically told her no way, that i'd sooner murio de hambre, before i'd eat that... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It takes more than 8 hours to get the flavor right in menudo. I have to admit the first couple of hours there is a pretty rank smell. Put the result after all the simmering and melding of the flavors, both taste and smell are gloriously delicious.

I will try almost anything 3 times before I decide if I really dislike it. For example I really dislike lobster - go figure. My Asian friends take me to authentic restaurants and can't believe what I will dive into. Usually surprises the wait staff too. I am enjoying "everything but the hooves" cuisine that is starting to take hold in the western world. The things I don't eat though are mammal brains and central nervous systems, there are some things in there that just don't cook out.

Good eats everyone!

Last edited:
The only planes I've used are an old Stanley regular angle block plane, a Record low angle block plane and a Stanley 92 rabbet plane for cleaning up tenons. Just had what I needed. I really don't know if I will use these planes as I enjoy using my power jointer and planer.

Ha! Had some menudo for lunch... mmmmm
(A Mexican soup with the key ingredients being tripe, hominy and red chile.)

Dang, now I'm hungry. :rofl:

Tripe ?????? gross!
Not in this lifetime :rofl::rofl::rofl:

my wife has been trying to get me to eat the colombian version of menudo, called mondongo. i basically told her no way, that i'd sooner murio de hambre, before i'd eat that... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

well folks dan, is gettun some good vittles there,, and after yu have it done right you are hooked..and on a cold day in the woods and some fresh tortias and some bevarges to wash it al done ,, its a southern cusin heaven:) then choreeso for breakfst:)

Well Dan. that's a good gloat indeed, you'll need to start tuning them soon if you want to use them on your Christmas projects:):D

As for the food, we eat "callos" here which is tripe, we also eat sheep or rabbit brain, kidneys, liver, lungs, cow tongue and fried blood. I've tasted them all but I prefer meat, i.e. sirloin, chopsteak, rumpsteak, and similar. Ah! I forgot, we also eat snails.

Last edited:
Well Dan. that's a good gloat indeed, you'll need to start tuning them soon if you want to use them on your Christmas projects:):D

As for the food, we eat "callos" here which is tripe, we also eat sheep or rabbit brain, kidneys, liver, lungs, cow tongue and fried blood. I've tasted them all but I prefer meat, i.e. sirloin, chopsteak, rumpsteak, and similar. Ah! I forgot, we also eat snails.

Nothing wrong with that! They're tasty little critters with some butter for dipping them in!

Yuck.:eek:.. but I am planning on cooking up a batch of Posole when the tour makes the stop here..:)