question for the sawyers....

James Edwards

what is used mostly to treat the ends of boards, right of the mill? I've heard beeswax( too expensive/time consuming), parafin wax( same), oil based paint, kreosote(no longer available I don't think)... :dunno:
I'm having about 1000-1500 BF sawn and I need to seal the ends....
what say ye...

i havnt ran the mill, but have alot of lumber cut. and i feed the sawyer.. i use anchorseal and some of the time i havnt used anything..but the mill just down the road from me doesnt use anything,,they cut it ship it and the kilns do the coating..in various colors for identification usually.. it does seem to help on the checking but yu can still get some depending ont he drying regime..it was about 75$ for five gallon bucket and a rollor or a pait brush works well for most logs the roller is the best in my opinion.. yu can look back and see some of the cuts i have shown here.. the last one we cut 2700Bf in a 12 hr day..didnt waste to much time keep the boards cleared and the next log on deck..the sawyer i now use is top notch in my book.. ANCHORSEAL works

James...

My mill sees a very low volume, just for my own shop needs. I use Anchorseal, as recommended by others, available from Woodcraft and elsewhere. It's somewhat pricey compared to that half-full can of latex paint in the basement, although I don't know how the price compares to beeswax. I've also used latex paint. I prefer Anchorseal as it seems to have some "flex" when it dries, and with my low volume I'm not concerned about saving just a couple of bucks.

No matter what you use I believe you will occasionally see some end checking. Checking is caused by the bound moisture at the end of the board escaping too quickly, so the idea is to prevent that by using a sealant. Sometimes it's not 100% effective. Various internal stresses appear when boards are drying, and this can cause some squirrely behavior. Check this site for a good discussion:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base_images/zp/dry_kiln_operators_manual_8.pdf

I can't prove it, but my belief is that if you end-treat your boards, even though there is some checking, it will be minimized.

Cheers.

i agree ity does seem to make a differnce, and like ed said.. some boards are gonna check more than others, thats why you try for a 9ft log or a 11ft to allow for the end cuts.

If I can hijack just a bit?

Can I use this on logs? I have 4 Walnuts that have to come down. In a creek bed and about to be washed out. Will be a while before I can have sawed.

YES, by al means... after yu get them down take and give them two coats of the anchorseal i have had logs that were cut two year prior that still had the coating on, but did check some during that time but nothing like they would have without it.

Vist the site that Frank recommended : I purchase colored in the 5 gal container. Less expensive that way-- from their web site.. pick Anchorseal down to --> "Retail/Hobby Quantities (1-quart can, 1-gallon can, 2-gallon pail, 5-gallon pail) Visit our Web Store"

Really good company -- they follow up with email and phone to see if it arrived and if I am please not a sales type call.

I have a band-saw mill and cut what I need and what else comes my way.
and I air dry in an old barn and use Anchorseal.. and also on the half cut for turning.

Anchorseal!!!!

Vist the site that Frank recommended : I purchase colored in the 5 gal container. Less expensive that way-- from their web site.. pick Anchorseal down to --> "Retail/Hobby Quantities (1-quart can, 1-gallon can, 2-gallon pail, 5-gallon pail) Visit our Web Store"

Really good company -- they follow up with email and phone to see if it arrived and if I am please not a sales type call.

I have a band-saw mill and cut what I need and what else comes my way.
and I air dry in an old barn and use Anchorseal.. and also on the half cut for turning.

Anchorseal!!!!

Paul, thanks for the directions on that website... I found it easily, and am ordering a gallon.... Thanks to all who responded, yer good men....:thumb:

note: $21.99(gal) + free shipping for today only @ Woodcraft !!!!!

Last edited: