Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bowl

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

New bowl

A new form for me. I got the new woodturners catalog the other day,and on the front cover were 3 bowls that i thought were really nice. Well i thought i'd give them a try. No where near as nice as them but thought i'd show a pic any way.It's 9"x 41/2" out of that wood i've been calling box elder. The only reason i've been calling it B.E. is that it does have some red in it, just not much.
    thanks for looking and all comments welcome as always.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032 [800x600].JPG   033 [800x600].JPG  

Nice form and finish. Wood is pretty too.

nice bowl, the grain is amazing. it looks like it runs all different direction. that my be a common sight for you spinny guys but its really unusual to me
    Faith, Hope & Charity

might be a new bowl steve but its a old comment,, that wood has alot going for it in the two differnt shades..and i see your pressing the limits now on wall thickness! wont be long and yu will inside there like vaughn making hollow forms..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Nice form and finish. Wood is pretty too.
    Mohammad thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    nice bowl, the grain is amazing. it looks like it runs all different direction. that my be a common sight for you spinny guys but its really unusual to me
    Bob thanks. the grain on this wood is what i really like myself. It's really hard but i like the grain so much i keep pluging away at it.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    might be a new bowl steve but its a old comment,, that wood has alot going for it in the two differnt shades..and i see your pressing the limits now on wall thickness! wont be long and yu will inside there like vaughn making hollow forms..
    Thanks Larry.yea i was pressing my luck on the wall thickness. I tryed one earler and got it down to about 1/8 " before i blew out the side. This one is about 3/16 to a 1/4. still not real consistent but trying. As far as them hollow forms i think i need a better lathe, maybe come income tax time.

Hey Steve...
    I like your shape and finish... it doesn't look like the wood I use as B.E... mine has some red in it too, but not the brown contrast like yours. Also my box elder seems soft..

At any rate, I put the second picture in my go-by file for future reference... great looking bowl.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

hey chuck drop in a pic of your good red stuff..so steve can see what we mean by red streaks.. i agree that this doesnt look or sound like BE as we know it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey chuck drop in a pic of your good red stuff..so steve can see what we mean by red streaks.. i agree that this doesnt look or sound like BE as we know it.
    Larry i agree as i've seen other pics inclulding pics of Chucks. Here is a close up of some of the red. i know the pic don't show it real red,but in person it's red red. Would like to know what it really is, so if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.This wood is real hard and real heavy. It don't seem to warp even if you just turn it and do nothin else. I turned a piece when i first got it that blew out the bottom. It's still sitting in the shop waiting for the wood stove to get hooked back up, and it hasn't warped a bit. And yes i turned it basically stright from the tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 035 [800x600].JPG  

Very nice design! The grain coloration really adds to a cool shape.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Very nice Horn!

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"