New bowl

A new form for me. I got the new woodturners catalog the other day,and on the front cover were 3 bowls that i thought were really nice. Well i thought i'd give them a try. No where near as nice as them but thought i'd show a pic any way.It's 9"x 41/2" out of that wood i've been calling box elder. The only reason i've been calling it B.E. is that it does have some red in it, just not much.:dunno:
thanks for looking and all comments welcome as always.
Steve

Attachments

• 032 [800x600].JPG
    032 [800x600].JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 033 [800x600].JPG
    033 [800x600].JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 46
might be a new bowl steve but its a old comment,,:):thumb::thumb: that wood has alot going for it in the two differnt shades..and i see your pressing the limits now on wall thickness! wont be long and yu will inside there like vaughn making hollow forms..

Nice form and finish. Wood is pretty too.
Mohammad thanks.

nice bowl, the grain is amazing. it looks like it runs all different direction. that my be a common sight for you spinny guys but its really unusual to me :thumb:
Bob thanks. the grain on this wood is what i really like myself. It's really hard but i like the grain so much i keep pluging away at it.

might be a new bowl steve but its a old comment,,:):thumb::thumb: that wood has alot going for it in the two differnt shades..and i see your pressing the limits now on wall thickness! wont be long and yu will inside there like vaughn making hollow forms..
Thanks Larry.yea i was pressing my luck on the wall thickness. I tryed one earler and got it down to about 1/8 " before i blew out the side.:eek: This one is about 3/16 to a 1/4. still not real consistent but trying. As far as them hollow forms i think i need a better lathe, maybe come income tax time.:)

Hey Steve...
I like your shape and finish... it doesn't look like the wood I use as B.E... mine has some red in it too, but not the brown contrast like yours. Also my box elder seems soft..

At any rate, I put the second picture in my go-by file for future reference... great looking bowl.

hey chuck drop in a pic of your good red stuff..so steve can see what we mean by red streaks.. i agree that this doesnt look or sound like BE as we know it.

Larry i agree as i've seen other pics inclulding pics of Chucks. Here is a close up of some of the red. i know the pic don't show it real red,but in person it's red red. Would like to know what it really is, so if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.This wood is real hard and real heavy. It don't seem to warp even if you just turn it and do nothin else. I turned a piece when i first got it that blew out the bottom. It's still sitting in the shop waiting for the wood stove to get hooked back up, and it hasn't warped a bit. And yes i turned it basically stright from the tree.

Attachments

• 035 [800x600].JPG
    035 [800x600].JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 12
Hey Steve...
I like your shape and finish... it doesn't look like the wood I use as B.E... mine has some red in it too, but not the brown contrast like yours. Also my box elder seems soft..

At any rate, I put the second picture in my go-by file for future reference... great looking bowl.
Thanks Chuck. like i said to Larry don't know what it is for sure but i'll keep calling it that till i know something for sure.:huh:

Very nice design! :thumb: The grain coloration really adds to a cool shape.
Thanks Sean i really like the color contrast.

Very nice Horn!

Bruce
Bruce i thought it looked like a upside down bell.:rofl:

That came out very nice, Steve. :thumb: I'm with the other guys on the box elder ID...I've never seen any with that dark of sapwood. But I have seen other light woods with bits of red around knots and strange figure, like you showed in the last pic. It the flame box elder I've seen, the red seems to run more through the plainer parts of the grain than the real figured parts.

HF040 - 03 800.jpg

Whatever it is you're turning, it sure looks sweet and you're doing a good job with it. :thumb: