Thread: Bringing a clamp back to life.

Bringing a clamp back to life.

Some weeks ago I posted a question about how to fix a clamp that tends to loosen, and there were no clear answers but lots of inputs that I appreciated very much.

No wanting to take drastic measures as in pic one.
    Attachment 38448
    I had the idea of drilling a hole in the back of the lower jaw, tapped it and insert a bolt that would narrow the gap and provide an anchor point with the hope that it would work.

Attachment 38441Attachment 38442Attachment 38443Attachment 38444Attachment 38445Attachment 38446
    To test the hold, I clamped my bench and gave it a 100 yanks both from the handle and from the bar ( I do not know if that part of the clamp has a special name) and it held very well, so now I have clamp for another 20 years.Attachment 38447

BTW I forgot to mention that once in place and adjusted I fixed the bolt with loctite for threads to avoid it getting loose as well.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great fix Toni. Glad it worked..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward