Another dove...

I was pleasantly surprised when Don Baer asked me if I could make him a dove for his church furniture comission.

So here it is ready to be started.

Don, you are still on time to make changes, if not I will start carving it in a couple of days or so. I hope you like it.:)

Maybe I should set up a dove carving bussines:huh::huh:

Comments and suggestions welcome as always

Attachments

• donsdove.jpg
    donsdove.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 108
Don's dove progress update.

While I'm taking a break on my seven drawer dresser waiting for a some drum sanders arrive, I've started Don's dove.
Here are some pics.

First I routed off the background to a depth I found adequate.
donsdove01.jpg
Then I refined the background and the outline a shallow gouge, as at the end the background is going to be sawn away because the dove is going to be glued on the front of the ambo I do not care if there are some marks left or if it is not flat completely.
donsdove02.jpgdonsdove03.jpg
Shaping the wings and the body, at the beginning I do it upsidedown to prevent the figure distracting me from the volume proportions and heights.
donsdove05.jpgdonsdove06.jpgdonsdove07.jpg
Some more refining and rough placing of details such as the legs.
donsdove08.jpgdonsdove10.jpg
Starting with the feathers, getting there but not quite, still a lot of work to do.
Legs are being very difficult due to their size, the beak and the eye will be as well. I'll attack them tomorrow when I'm fresh.

donsdove11.jpg

Comments, critics and suggestions welcome as always.
Thanks for looking.

Now THERE is a talent (not a skill, but a talent) I can't even dream about. I'd love to carve, but for some reason can't visualize organic objects at all. I can't even manage a stick drawing of a frog.

Now THERE is a talent (not a skill, but a talent) I can't even dream about. I'd love to carve, but for some reason can't visualize organic objects at all. I can't even manage a stick drawing of a frog.

Thanks for your comment Tim you are too generous but I'm just a starter.

As per visualising organic shapes do not give up, try to break them down into geometrical shapes first, and after round off the edges. For instance, a leave could be started by making a romboid, once you have the romboid, shape the edges into curves resembling a leave, mark the central nerve, and you are close to get a leave.