My first show(??)

Jeff Horton

Not sure I would call this a show, but one of the local Greenhouse/Nurseries has an annual Wood Working festival/show. It's is not a big deal nor are there a lot of people that come through. But I was asked to come as a favor by a neighbor. (who has a sawmill ;) ) So I went.

The previous three weeks I have had a boat and the unfinished frame on display at the local library also as a favor to him.

I went up there with no plan. Just loaded stuff in the truck. Grabbed a folding table and hoped for the best.

first-showing.jpg

I stated out with the boats standing on end tied to the trailer almost straight up so they would be seen. A gust of wind made me realize really quickly that wouldn't work without some more strapping so we lowered to what you see now.

A little latter my wife showed up and the owner encouraged me to move one of the boats along the isle. He even found me some saw horses to put it on. So I moved it and moved the table out with one of the kits on it. Then pulled the blue boat (it there, look close) out and stood it up too. Never got a photo but it looked pretty good and much better than what I started with.

Almost everyone had to stop and see, of course I didn't sell anything and didn't expect too. I did have a few people ask questions that I MIGHT hear from again.

Funny thing was one man was driving by and said he saw the kayaks from the road above everything else. ;) He circled back and again, might be serious about one. Best part was as we talked I could tell he knew something about wood. Turned out he is a Timber Wright and owns the local Timber Framing company.

I started to talk about the woods and remarked as to how hard it was to find decent wood locally for the boat. That's when I found out they had wood and not just big beams either. He told me he had a good bit of 4/4 stock. Plus, he has a supply of two woods I have been looking for for some time now, cypress and sassafras. Don't know his prices but he told me I could come pick out clear stock if I wanted. So I will be paying him a visit this week! That along was worth freezing my backside off and dealing with the rain.

Last edited:
Sounds like it turned out to be a productive day for you Jeff. :thumb:

So is the white one finished or is it for showing the process to the finished product? It looks finished since it has the hardware...just curious