Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning a rosette in a square for door

turning a rosette in a square for door

I had a new screen door put in today, part of my sprucing up my little house.
    I want to cut and build my own outdoor entranceway moldings around screen door.
    Its a tiny home, so it will be nothing elaborate,(ofcourse, Im making it, it will be simple) Ill pick up a router bit to try some fluting, and build up a few pieces of wood on top to make a header(I believe its called a header)
    I also want to put 2 4x4 or 5x5 blocks on top of fluted molding and sides of header, and I want to have small rosettes cut in the blocks.
    Rosette bits start around 50, plus shipping, for 2 blocks, its just ridiculous for me to spend the money.
    Any tips or suggestion if I put a 4x4 block into the lathe and try(using 1/4 inch bowl gouge)turning a few circles on face? I figured Id mark with marker each block so the circle is in same spot on each one, maybe turn 3 circles.

That's one of the things a LATHE can do, but NOT with bowl gouges. Use either a Skew or Spindle gouge. A Parting tool will work, too.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 10-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I'm thinking this is a job, really, for a scraper, since the profile you're cutting won't give you any really good place to rub a bevel and just SCREAMS for a catch. It might be worth doing to custom-grind a scraper just for this job - maybe one of the cheap old black-oxide Sears scrapers? Or... considering the small size and the near-one-off nature of the project, a fella could even grind a large old screwdriver into a suitable scraper; it doesn't have to keep its burr for very long.
    -- Tim --

It's very doable, Allen. If the wood's thick enough, you can even use a faceplate to make it easy to mount on the lathe. (And you wouldn't need to worry about hiding the screw holes in the back of the rosette.)

For me, a bowl gouge would be easier to do this with than a skew, but as Bruce mentioned, a spindle gouge or a parting tool could also do it. Not trying to dispute what Bruce has said, but the success with a bowl gouge would depend a lot on the profile of the grind. I'd think a swept-wing Ellsworth style gouge could cut the beads or flutes pretty easily (especially flutes), but a traditional grind bowl gouge probably wouldn't work too well. Just try a few different tools on some scrap to see which one(s) work best for you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I guess Ill just give it a shot, I dont own a narrow spindle gouge, and I want some narrow channels(flutes) in the rosette.

Just a thought, you can buy the Rosette blocks ready made and a reasonable price, even the BORG's have them.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Just a thought, you can buy the Rosette blocks ready made and a reasonable price, even the BORG's have them.
    Now Dan, where the fun in that.
    Were are woodworkers.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I made my whole house these.

Simply attached a piece of plywood to a faceplate then took a scrap sample piece, located the center and moved the tailstock in close and aligning the tail cupcenter with the wood's centerpoint I pressed it against the plywood mounted on the faceplate. Then penciled the outline of the square. Using some 3/4 x 3/4 stock I screwed a guide fence around the square.

Then I took double sided tape and held the square w/i the corral that I had made. Back at the lathe I used scrapers to shape the contours of the Rosette... Of course mine have a flat bottom to glue in the small Pineapple (my wife is the Pineapple Princess collecting Pineapple anythings)

The two sided tape works for mounting at least 2 of the rosettes maybe 3... Takes just a couple minutes per, I did all mine including painting and hanging (replacing the existing rosettes) while she was off on one of her trips, weekend...

BTW the pineapple was made from a candy mold, I poured Durhams Rockhard to make the casting. (secretly in prep for the surprise) Sanded the backs flat and glued to the bottom of the rosette, when painted, it looks as though it was carved into the block (I think)
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 10-27-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    I have some beautiful mahogany that I figured I might as well use for the molding and header. I havent looked for mahogany rosettes, but I will take a look, I know Ive seen pine and oak rosettes all over.

Bill, those look awesome. Great idea on the candy mold and Durham's putty.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com