Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been deputized

I've been deputized

Thanks to Jim Delaney for demonstrating his dust deputy set up - I was sold. Picked it up yesterday and soon found that the small drum was very unstable. That's when I remembered that Jim had made a platform for his - now I know why. So, a few scraps and a bungee cord later and I hope to be cleaning out filters a lot less in the future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0284 (800 x 741).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	38494
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

That's a nice looking setup there Rennie. Be sure to let us know what you think of it in a couple of months. What type filter do you use with the shop vac in this arrangement?
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    That's a nice looking setup there Rennie. Be sure to let us know what you think of it in a couple of months. What type filter do you use with the shop vac in this arrangement?
    It has a HEPA filter I bought for it some time ago. I'll be giving it a good cleaning and empty the drum tomorrow. Then I'll be able to monitor performance.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I've had mine for a few months and yes the drum falls over every time you look at it. I need to knock up a cart or something for it but I've been too busy doing other things.

Apart from the top heavy-ness it does a really good job. I've had 5 buckets full of dust and debris and very little in the vac.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

OK Rennie, I'm sold. I've been looking at various improvements to my shop vac setup, and I think I'll follow Jim's and your lead. I've decided I want something better than the cheapie Harbor Freight separator lid on a 5 gallon bucket that I have now. I really like the Clearvue setup for the Ridgid vac, but can't justify the price, especially since I'd need to also buy a new shop vac.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You're gonna love that thing. Just the little 5gal bucket separator and a CleanStream filter on my larger Ridgid cut my filter cleanings down tremendously. The true cyclone versions seem much better than that. If you're like me, now the hazard is that it is so long between cleanings that I get confused when the vac suction finally starts to reduce .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shopvac-2-sm.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ...If you're like me, now the hazard is that it is so long between cleanings that I get confused when the vac suction finally starts to reduce .
    Glenn,
    I had emptied the drum on mine (I'm using a 10 gallon galvanized can) just before Rennie got here, but hadn't looked in the vac. When he asked, I popped the top off the Fein vac, and the can was still completely empty - this after about three fillings of the 10 gallon can.

I've had mine for three or four months now, and I'm still impressed with its performance.

BTW, I paid $59 for the cyclone only, and mounted it on my own can. The newest version - for $99 (I think) - includes the can and a bracket for mounting the can directly onto the side of the vac, so no cart will be needed. Looks like a fairly practical setup.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've seen these advertised but was not really sure how they worked. Now I know and now I gotta have one
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Dang it, why'd I have to look at this thread. Now I'm going to have to join the club too!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Building a samll ciclone like those is rather easy I would say, specially if you download the xls. file from Bill Pentz's web where you can have all the measures to make a mini cyclone for a shop vac.

I'm gathering all the materials to make one myself, I'll post the results when its finished.

It is my idea not to build it from scratch but use what I have available already shaped, for instance 6" PVC duct for the cyclone body.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...