Silly but fun project

Bob Gibson

I was in full assembly line production this weekend making about a dozen of these for my grand kids. Its a silly little project but it makes them so happy. I found the plans on a scroll saw site awhile back, built a prototype and made a few changes.
One has bubblegum, one has skittles. I filled one with M&M's but it mysteriously disappeared this morning. Seems it made it's way onto my wifes desk at school. She teaches English and Social Studies to to 7th and 8th graders and she says she needs the sugar rush during the day :rofl:

PA260069 (600 x 450).jpg

PA260070 (600 x 450).jpg

Not silly at all! A silly project is a complete waste of time, energy, and wood - that qualifies by none of the established criteria.

No project that converts wood into smiles is silly. :)

Those are way cool!

I can think of all sorts of things that you could do to make them even more fun, like letting the kids paint and color them etc! :clap:

Not silly in the slightest :thumb:

There are no silly projects if its made for someone in particular and that person is 100% satisfied with it.

Im willing to bet that if I asked one of your grandkids if theyd rather have your bubble gum machine filled with skittles, or a Sam Maloof dining room set, Im probably right when I think theyd prefer your bubble gum machine.

I also think youre little project would sell at arts and craft shows if it was priced reasonably.

I dont think this item is silly at all.

What you have there bob is called a winner

I guess silly wasn't the right word. Therapeutic would be a better one :rofl:
My 3 1/2 year old granddaughter Abby helped to assemble her own. You would of thought it was Christmas. I brought another one over to a grandson who is 4 and has to have his ear operated on this Thursday (he stuck a popcorn kernel in his ear :doh:) when I left he had a mouth full of gumballs:)

They are cheap to make. The jars cost less than a dollar when you buy a case and the bubblegum costs about a buck or so. The rest is just scrap lumber.
I made a couple of templates and jig for cutting the holes with holesaws. I just had to buy a bowl cutting router bit to make the tray.
I guess you could sell them with a bag of gumballs for $15.00 maybe ???

Bob,

Great project! I wish I had one when I was a kid. Actually, I wouldn't mind having one now.:thumb:
When you mentioned your granddaughter helping put one together it made me think about an upcoming Cub Scout project. It might fill the bill perfectly! Are the plans available online?

Wes

Wes,
I found the plans on the scrollsaw workshop ? I think the guys name is Steve Goode.
He made the holes and circles with his scroll saw but my scroll saw is the least used tool in my shop. I used hole saws and forstner bits.
I made one from his instructions then tightened up the dimensions and added a few features before making a bunch.
It would be great for the Cub scouts. You could bag up all the parts in a kit and keep them busy for an hour or so.:thumb:

Thanks Bob! I took a quick look and it does look like a good project for the kids. I'll run it by the Den Leader to see what he thinks. He's a 4th grade teacher as well - much better feel for the skill levels and attention spans of the boys. I guess if we use the plan, a donation to the website would be in order.

Do you still have any left, or have they all been claimed?:D

Wes