My take on the Eli Avisera Skew

Stuart Ablett

We recently had Eli Avisera from Israel come to Tokyo for a two day demonstration. Eli showed us so much stuff, too much to take in really, so to try to remember some of it :eek: I've made a couple of videos.

The first series is about his convex ground skew.....

>> Eli Avisera Skew <<

I hope it does not bore you too much. :wave:

Great work, Stu. :thumb:

I'm a bit confused about the proportions of the Eli Wax you mentioned (at 1:16 on Part 4). 60% mineral oil and 60% beeswax. I get all mixed up with metric percentages like that. What do you use for the other 18%? :huh: :rofl:

Sorry, did I misspeak? :huh:

More mineral oil than beeswax.

To make it, I weigh the two items, I put the mineral oil in a glass jar, weigh it, then add 40% more in beeswax, then I put the glass jar in a pot that has water in it, and put this on my hotplate, warming the water up, heating the oil, melting the wax. When all melted, I think mix it a bit more and take it off the heat, when it cools, I just put the lid on the jar and it is ready to use. One small jam jar full and I did the whole back bench on my SawStop, two coats.

Eli uses unused beeswax, before the bees have had at it, so his is very clear and does not affect the color of the wood, I use recycled beeswax, so it has a slight orange/amber tint to it.

Eli uses this wax in a variety of ways, one is he puts it on the piece before he sands, and then sands, this cuts the dust from sanding to almost zero. It does not affect the finish is you use friction polish or the like.

Cheers!

Stuart, thank you very much for sharing this. As a fairly new turner I learned something from this. Thanks for taking the time to post the videos for the rest of us to see.

Tom

Stu,

I just watched the series and you did a wonderful job! You are indeed a great teacher and you make it fun to watch. I can't wait for more!

Pete

They don't make bigger hats. However, you did do a great job with the videos. Your descriptions of what you are doing is clear. Thanks for sharing some of what you learned so that we can learn as well.

Well Stu, I've seen your videos and you, together with Mack, Vaughn and all the other spinny guys will be held responsible for me taking the plunge if I take it one day.

Thanks for taking the time of recording them and making them available to everybody, even to us flatworkers!:thumb: Althoug my work is less and less "flat" everyday;)

Stuart, thank you very much for sharing this. As a fairly new turner I learned something from this. Thanks for taking the time to post the videos for the rest of us to see.

Tom

Hi Stu, I can only echo what Tom has said. I set aside to watch these videos today and boy I learned a ton. Hope our getting something out of your video made it worth all the effort you went to.

What i learned
1) About the centers. Thanks youoooo. I have had oh so many catches it browned out my trousers and swore me off the skew completely.
2) Grinding and sharpening the screw. I can see how the convex shape would help. Will brave it again after your video once i get one of number 1).
3) How to smooth the rest. My piece of junk is up for a upgrade soon. Now i know what to look for in a new lathe.
4) How to hold the skew. Oh boy this is where i should say DUHH. rob.
5)Learned to go and practice first before wasting good wood.

Cannot tell you how much i appreciate the videos and for the record i could see everything you were describing. Thanks for using the marker to show where the plane cut should be taken.

Ok now to pluck up the courage. :D

Hey lastly if the cap fits wear it.

Thanks guys, and yes Rob, it does make it all worthwhile when I hear that it did help someone :thumb:

My problem is that after seeing someone like Eli turn, I need to be making six video series a day to try to remember it all :doh:

Cheers!