Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, can't get mu Mortice machine to cut

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Unhappy Help, can't get mu Mortice machine to cut

I picked up a mortiser today, put it together and so far all it is is a glorified drill press. I set it up per the instructions but alas assoon as the square bit touchs the wood that as far as I can go..
    I know I'm doing something wrong but just can't firgure it out.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

sounds like the drill bit is set to far up into the chisel. It should be down I think around 1/16" to create clearance between them.

the book says 3/32-7/32 I've trive it up and down.
    does the chisel move at all
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don, i usually set the bit around 1/16-1/8" below the end of the chisel. works like a charm for me, oak, mahogany, even borg pine.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

When I used Larrys the instructions said to slide the chisle up to about hte thickness of a nickle (can use one as a thickness guage) from being all the way up and tighten the set for the chisle. then push the drill bit tight to the chisle and tighten. then losen the chistle and push it the rest of the way up and tighten. That setting worked for red oak.

sounds familiar, but i don't use a nickel (my wife raids my change pockets). i usually set the chisel all the way up, then lower the drill bit so that the wings are about 1/8" below the tips of the chisel.
    benedictione omnes bene

Got that,tried 5 pennies once, a little to big a gap Yep either way will work, just got to find the gap that works

OK I'll play with it. I just tried it on some pine and it worked. First time was white OAK. I gotta figure this thing out b4 I tackle the maple.

i had my doubts at first too don, and i was surprised that it went through the white oak that used for my furniture (once i got it through my head that it works by hogging out the waste just before it squares the hole). i always call it the machine that does the most unnatural act in woodworking, it drills a square hole. my dad had to see me do it 3 times before i finally broke down and told him how it's done...
    benedictione omnes bene

Until you said that it worked on pine I was thinking that your depth gauge as screwed up.
    Never had the problem with mine. I set it up according to the book and it works in all substrates.
    Faith, Hope & Charity