Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with too many fences?

Question What would you do with too many fences?

Some years back I purchased my Delta 6" jointer. It came with a fence that had a slight warp. Several emails and phone calls to the Delta support people resulted in an overlap of responses and I wound up, over the course of several months, five extra fences for the jointer.

Space, like with everyone here, is at a premium in my shop. I need to do something with these but the only thing I can think of is turn them in for scrap and get a few bucks in exchange. So, I turn to the collective wisdom of the forum for suggestions. What can you do with five extra fences?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	38540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	38541

Please, answers such as anchors, ballast, etc. have already been considered and need not be voiced.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Sell the straight ones online/ebay/family woodworking.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Sell the straight ones online/ebay/family woodworking.
    I had considered that, but at 20# each wouldn't the shipping be prohibitive? Do you think there's enough of a demand to overcome the shipping cost?

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I had considered that, but at 20# each wouldn't the shipping be prohibitive? Do you think there's enough of a demand to overcome the shipping cost?
    I sold a 40# tablesaw wing to a guy on the east coast and I'm in California. Shipping Fedex was about $22. I built a quick 1/4" plywood box around it and wrapped that in cardboard and taped it up good. It arrived in perfect shape.

I stick sandpaper to MDF to use for leveling small box feet and such tasks. Being long and narrow, I don't know if that would work out for the types of items you make or not.

I ended up with an extra Griz G0490X fence. I emailed them and they sent a box and a pickup slip. A little tape, a call to UPS, left it on the porch and it "went away".
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Really heavy duty shelving?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I sold a 40# tablesaw wing to a guy on the east coast and I'm in California. Shipping Fedex was about $22. I built a quick 1/4" plywood box around it and wrapped that in cardboard and taped it up good. It arrived in perfect shape.

I stick sandpaper to MDF to use for leveling small box feet and such tasks. Being long and narrow, I don't know if that would work out for the types of items you make or not.

I ended up with an extra Griz G0490X fence. I emailed them and they sent a box and a pickup slip. A little tape, a call to UPS, left it on the porch and it "went away".
    Probably a little late to send back to Delta. I considered using them for lapping planes using sandpaper.

I'll look into actual shipping cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Really heavy duty shelving?
    For things that aren't likely to leak.

www.wrworkshop.com

Build a couple of the granddaddys of all infill planes.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Seriously, interesting question. Bandsaw resaw fence maybe? But, that would use only one.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Drill and tap a set of boots to it, just need a couple of poles, then hit the slopes.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Probably the simple thing to do is list 'em on CraigsList; somebody'll want 'em & be happy to give you cash money for 'em.

People want funny stuff sometimes - when we first started cleaning the previous owner's stuff out of the barn, we set up a huge "free pile" out front. One fella wanting nothing more than a big stack of rusty, beat-up lawnmower blades that'd been rotting out there for nobody knows how many years. He went away very happy.
    -- Tim --