Sheet Goods Storage

david graves

As some of you know, I am currently building a new workshop/office and need ideas for sheet goods storage. I would like to be able to store up to 4x8 sheets.

I need something that will kind of be out of the way but functional.

Dont really know what I want/need but want some ideas to toss around.

Regards,

how much yu thinkun in storing? if its just a couple sheets of this or that then my vote is vertical, if yu have alot to store and have room to do it then horizontal. but in order to store vertical yu need a high ceiling so maybe yu need horizontal on long edge. which can be done along a wall but that is taking up valuable wall space too...

I probalby will only have up to 6 sheets of plywood. And then of course I have a lot red oak and white oak to store as well. I am thinking of storing some of the oak in the attic.

Regards,

Between the wall and the cutoff bin. I have 15" of storage which has always been enough as I use few sheetgoods. Even still, I started with 12" and had to expand. I built a 15" x 48" platform about 2" tall, sealed it where it touched the floor to avoid concrete moisture wicking. I left openings and channels to allow air to circulate underneath.

I sanded, sealed and waxed the surface to make it easy to slide stuff in and out. I mounted a stop from the rafters so pieces wouldn't fall over as I sort through but this turned out to be almost useless as it only worked for full sheets or had to be low enough to bonk your head on.

My workbench is free standing so to remove a sheet I pull them straight out across a walkway that is always clear and just a bit behind my bench. That is; on the side I consider the back even though I work from both sides(?). Putting stuff in is just as easy.

Attachments

• sheets-and-cutoffs-001.jpg
    sheets-and-cutoffs-001.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 72
  • sheets-and-cutoffs-002.jpg
    sheets-and-cutoffs-002.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
  • sheets-and-cutoffs-003.jpg
    sheets-and-cutoffs-003.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 72
  • sheets-and-cutoffs-004.jpg
    sheets-and-cutoffs-004.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 67
Between the wall and the cutoff bin. I have 15" of storage which has always been enough as I use few sheetgoods. Even still, I started with 12" and had to expand. I built a 15" x 48" platform about 2" tall, sealed it where it touched the floor to avoid concrete moisture wicking. I left openings and channels to allow air to circulate underneath.

I sanded, sealed and waxed the surface to make it easy to slide stuff in and out. I mounted a stop from the rafters so pieces wouldn't fall over as I sort through but this turned out to be almost useless as it only worked for full sheets or had to be low enough to bonk your head on.

My workbench is free standing so to remove a sheet I pull them straight out across a walkway that is always clear and just a bit behind my bench. That is; on the side I consider the back even though I work from both sides(?). Putting stuff in is just as easy.

ok glenn where yu hidung the rest of that walnut and where did yu get that nice stuff,,that one board yu are showun us is fantastic figure:)

You can see how I just couldn't walk by and leave that standing there when I saw him at the yard, eh? Sorry for the hijack, but he had friends.

Attachments

• figured-walnut.jpg
    figured-walnut.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: