Student's Pens for Soldiers

I have been quite remiss in my thanking of the generosity of the people here that have generously donated to the pen blank bank we have in my wood shop for the soldier pens. In no particular order and at the risk of forgetting or failing to mention someone (if that happens, pm me, kick my butt, then I'll post your name :eek:) Seriously, I do personally thank each and everyone that has given time, money, pen blanks and equipment towards our soldier pen project. The kids really get motivated and do such a wonderful job for such a tremendous group of service men and women.

Allen Levine
Nancy Laird
Paul Downes
Craig Jackson
Stu from Japan
Pete Simmons
Myself

Oh and Larry the Ambassador (as soon as I cut it into pen blanks as soon as I get the shop running, as soon as :dunno:, I'll get them done, they need to dry and be ready for next year's run! :thumb::thumb:

I'll be posting pictures of their work soon, many have 4 -5 pens completed. Those students are now turning pens from some of the spalted stuff Paul Downes donated when I met him at Larry's this past month. We are cutting, drilling, gluing in the tubes, facing the blanks, and turning them round. Then a coat of thin glue, finish turning, another light coat of thin glue and man they polish up and look wet!!!! They are sure causing a desire to finish four to five pens so they can turn that wood!!:thumb::thumb:

I know, if I didn't list you I am the idiot, but please pm me and remind me so I can update the list correctly! It is not self serving on your part, it is for the good of the cause. I apologize in advance to anyone I failed to mention.

Oh, did I mention, 400 pens is our goal for this year's donation. Hope to finish up three weeks before Christmas (near Thanksgiving!).

I'm sure glad that I see your name on that list too Jonathan, my hat is off to you for providing the leadership to the kids.

If you need more of my funny Japanese Elm blanks, you just shout, I got a TON of them left and I'll NEVER get around to turning near as many as I have, so I'd LOVE to see them go to your students for this wonderful project.

Cheers! :wave:

I have no way of turning pens yet but Rockler had pen blanks on sale for 3 for $1.00 at my local store so I bought 21 of them for future work. :dunno:
You are welcome to all of them if you still have the need. Just let me know where to send them.
I'm going back there tomorrow if more are needed.

Last edited:
Bob, that is a generous gesture. We don't have a minimum or a maximum that we accept. I keep what we don't use this year for next year's batch. That is how we got started early this year, utilizing some blanks donated from last year and I cut up a three 12' rough cut boards, one cherry, one hard maple, one red oak. Lot of pen blanks in a 12' board!!! We appreciate you becoming one of our supporters!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
The address is:

North Judson - San Pierre High School Wood Shop
c/o JW Shively
#1 Bluejay Drive
North Judson, Indiana 46366

And thank you in advance Bob!!! Hey, tell your Woodcraft store what you are doing and what they are going for, they might give you some to donate!