Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature on Making a Story Stick

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.

Literature on Making a Story Stick

Where can I learn how to make one of these suckers? My need is especially important because I am so totally awful at drawing anything.

When I sketch plans for - say - workbenches with drawers along the walls of my shop, I can't even progress to the stage of creating a cutlist.

The books I have ( and I have a lot) just skirt over the subject of Story Sticks.

Thanks,

Gary Curtis

Gary,

http://www.huntfamily.com/metz/storystick.htm

http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Ar...eId=289&page=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=wqg...20wood&f=false

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/trnlegs.html

there's not much out there because there's not much to making one. You'll find lots more about *why* to use one than how to make one...

Thanks,

Bill

I don't know that a story stick is gonna help you with drawing or replace the ?need? of sketching out a project, and they likely won't help you with figuring out a cut list.

What they do help you with is transferring measurements for duplicating dimensions of pieces or for making a duplicate of an entire project.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Oh! a story stick. I thought you were talking about how to make a story stick. Now, I've got it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Never heard about them until now, it caught my interest inmediately, thanks for asking, and thanks to Bill Lantry for the links
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Last edited by John Bartley; 12-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.

For me, story sticks are a massive pain in the rear. Unless it is something super compicated, like recently I had to build a cabinet that fit into three holes in a wall. Its just for when I'm concerned about jumbling too many numbers.

Learning to do this stuff in your head on the fly is a really important skill to have. It makes you faster, and more familiar with all of the numbers that are needed.

Say you have a 84" base cabinet, with three evenly sized openings at 26" and all of the stiles are 1-1/2". Finished end on the left, unfinished on the right.
    If you're using 3/4" material and 3/8" dado's the math is pretty simple.
    To cut your deck and if you have a 1/2" pocket against the wall you subtract 1-1/4" from the total width. 7/8" on the unfinished end for a 1/2" pocket, and 3/8" for the finished end. So a 82-3/4" deck.

For your two dados in the middle of the deck, (assuming you want the partitions centered).
    From the finished end, add your stile (1-1/2), plus the opening (26"), plus the pocket (3/8"). And subtract the finished end. The dado will be 27-1/2" from the edge of the deck.
    For the opposite side do basically the same thing. Add the stile to the opening, (27-1/2"), plus the pocket at the partition,(3/8), and subtract 7/8" for the 1/2" pocket and the unfinished end. The dado should be 27" from that edge of the deck.

To double check yourself, you should have 26-3/4" between the two dado's.

It would take me forever to cut out a kitchen if I were to use cut lists, or story poles. I do everything off of the drawing.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by gary curtis View Post
    My need is especially important because I am so totally awful at drawing anything.
    Gary, have you tried Sketchup. It a free download. Check out the design forum to see what some of us have done with it. If you get it there a lot of folks here who can help you out.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.
    Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I was shying away from the idea of using Sketchup. To me it represents another computer program I would have to learn. No matter how easy.

I want to work with wood, not fuss with computers. Fortunately there are enough measured drawings of furniture for sale so that I can build without the chore of designing and drawing. I love the furniture sold by Thomas Moser of Maine, and he sells a book of his plans.

It seemed to my puny brain, though, that for built-in cabinets, the Story Stick (story pole?) was the hot ticket.

Gary

Last edited by John Bartley; 12-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.