Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaker spider leg table

Central NY State

Shaker spider leg table

Well, this is a project I've wanted to do for a long time, and have finally jumped in. It's a Shaker small spider leg table. CH Becksvoort wrote an article in FWW #110 about it. I'm also going to use a jig described by Mario Rodriguez to cut the dovetails in the pedestal. Not exactly flatwork, but it isn't purely Neander either, so I'll put it in this section of FW.

The first day of work involved making the jig, which was a bit fussy. But I figure the better it is made, the better it will work. Scrap plywood really, and some bits of hardware. I'm hoping to make two tables, and perhaps more later, so the jig should be worthwhile:

Shown without the router or workpiece in it:

And shown with the router in place, but again no workpiece. The idea is to have a register to place the three female sliding dovetails 120 degrees apart, and have tight control as it is done:

I went up to my attic, where I keep my lumber dry, [it is like a no-cost kiln in the summer] and scrounged around. Behind a pile of wood, I found a piece of log I cut with a chainsaw and split - I don't remember when. But it will supply my two blanks. The large piece is what was left after I bandsawed the blanks out, but captures the sense of where I started.

Next is the bandsawn blank before it will go to the lathe:

Now, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I am a really poor turner. 60 grit paper is a turning tool for me. Anyway, my understanding is that precise dimensions are not as important as the overall flow of the curves on this pedestal. So after finding some old worm holes, I adjusted the diameters for the best look. The dark line on the tulip [the little bulge to the right] is a worm line I filled with coffee and epoxy. The dovetails will be cut into the slightly narrower cylinder to the left.

The pedestal is sanded to 800. I'll finish it on the lathe, before cutting the dovetails. More to come later.....

Tokyo Japan
    Very interesting Ken, I'll be watching!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Constantine, MI
    you do nice work Ken - I'll be watching too.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I'm really interested in seeing those dovetails cut.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

North West Indiana
    Go Ken go!!! Looks interesting and definitely has my attention!!!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Delton, Michigan
    your slipping again ken this is twice in the same year yu went back to a lathe for careful or yu will slide off the cliff
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Central NY State
    Larry, it just sits there looking so sad and lonely, asking me "where's Ben, where's Ben?"

Ken looks interesting , your the teacher in the court .............Marshall
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

new york city burbs
    wait a second, youre only making one pedestal, not 4 identical legs?
    what fun is there in that? Youre going to miss out on the throwing the rejects around, talking and yelling at your tools and machines in 3 languages, one even you wont understand, youre not going to go through your wood pile and wonder how many bf do you need for a 1 bf leg.(can you post a picture of the project, of the finished product)